Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 58cal roundball too small??? >

58cal roundball too small???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

58cal roundball too small???

Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 58cal roundball too small???

You are correct that the Lewis and Clark guys killed grizzly bears with round balls. They did not do it on a regular basis and the first few almost ate the shooter. One in particular had to be shot several times by more than one shooter. I have had cow elk go 1/4 mile after a double lung shot and they don't try to eat you. Put me in the group that would not go after big bears with a muzzleloader (especially with a round ball unless it was bigger than I would be comfortable shooting). I got this old by only doing semi-stupid things, some of them made me limp but they didn't eat me.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

I was kinda' hoping someone from Green Mountain Barrel Co reads this forum/messageboard. I would like my new 72 caliber that'srifled to be a drop-in barrel for my Renegade stock.

I certainly withdrawl my suggestion if those gigantic groundballs are only accurate with 200 grains.

Do you prop yourself up against a tree trunk before squeezing that trigger?.... ouch-ouch-ouch!
Actually recoil isn't that bad, and that is due to the weight of the rifle. I have shot it with 150 to 200 grains 2F and it is accurate with all. I do like 170 to 180 grains.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Like I said earlier, a roundball has harvested elephants. I kinda' wish someone would develop a 72-cal rifled roundball barrel." ???

??? There are plenty of such barrels - for example, the Pedersoli Kodiak .72 is rifled for round balls. Many barrel makers will make you one, and cut the rifling to any twist that turns you on!

This Jaegerhas a Long Hammock .73" barrel rifled 1/78" with wide, shallow grooves made especailly to shoot .735" round balls that weigh in at 597.5 grains. I shoot them with 150 grains of Swiss FFg and a .010" T/C prelubed patch. Ball MV is 1500 FPS. I have no doubt that these balls will kill the biggest bear out there......

"Do you prop yourself up against a tree trunk before squeezing that trigger?.... ouch-ouch-ouch!"

Now, that WOULD be a good way to get a smashed shoulder!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW -- talk about beauty!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard of 4ga muzzleloaders with rifled barrels for elephant!!! I think a 58cal prb would do.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

If you folks ever get to Northern Alberta there is a large Griz. that was shot by a native lady with a .22 cal. I believe it wasFaust, Albertaand it was mounted in a standing position and is well over 8 ft. This bear shot in the Swan Hills was charging the lady and all she had was a .22 short in the rifle and she shot the bear in the eye. Lucky?YES!

The moral of the story is the same for all game- place your shot and if she is questionable then don't take it. If they ever re-instate the griz hunting in Alberta I will gladly take my .50 (with conicals) after them. Though I will have a back up and a large supply of toilet paper.