Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 58cal roundball too small??? >

58cal roundball too small???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

58cal roundball too small???

Old 09-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 58cal roundball too small???

ORIGINAL: rem 700

Roundballs are soft lead, and lightweight. Use a conical instead. They will retain that critical penetrating weight, even if they are plainlead thanks to the higher SD.
Poster Sharp Shooter has "roundball" built into his signature at the bottom of his posts.

We all need to respect his desires/choices of this fine sport. Like I said earlier, a roundball has harvested elephants. I kinda' wish someone would develop a 72-cal rifled roundball barrel. Then we could blow our nose with the patch if need-be...lol

Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en
We all need to respect his desires/choices of this fine sport. Like I said earlier, a roundball has harvested elephants.
Sharpshooter also asked for our thoughts on this load for big bears.

I don't think a conical, so long as used in a traditional ML, would at all decrease the challenge of a hunt. This was simply my recommendation, and 'food for thought' on why you'd want something with more to it, as roundballs are notorious for havingpenetration problems on bones orgenerally tough animals notso frequentlyassociated with 'traditional bullets'.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:17 PM
BS

The 58 is only a medium bore, large bore don't start till they shoot 400 grains of round ball.

your 58 will work just dandy for elk and smaller animals that don't want to eat you, for them, 500+ grains of lead, maybe more............and a stiff load of 2.1/2 to3 times the bore size. My 73 cal with 560grain RB and225grains ofFF is a nice stout load in a 8# gun..........that would be about my minimum for big bears.

You always need one more gun!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Call me chicken...I would not intentionally go after a Grizzly with a .58cal single shot muzzleloader.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know where you can get a rifled barrel in really big calibers!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

ORIGINAL: rem 700

Roundballs are soft lead, and lightweight. Use a conical instead. They will retain that critical penetrating weight, even if they are plainlead thanks to the higher SD.
Poster Sharp Shooter has "roundball" built into his signature at the bottom of his posts.

We all need to respect his desires/choices of this fine sport. Like I said earlier, a roundball has harvested elephants. I kinda' wish someone would develop a 72-cal rifled roundball barrel. Then we could blow our nose with the patch if need-be...lol
Well, if ya blew you're nose in the patch, you've killed two birds with one stone. You cleared your sinuses AND lubed your patch.[:'(]
Old 09-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the whole traditional think with the roundball. I think if mountain men used the popular 53cal back in the 1800's then a 58cal would do. I would really like to go with the roundball if I do it some day but I could also try the ball-et. I think I would go with the roundball. I would also get a Lyman Great Plains 54cal pistol for back up
Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

I like the whole traditional think with the roundball. I think if mountain men used the popular 53cal back in the 1800's then a 58cal would do. I would really like to go with the roundball if I do it some day but I could also try the ball-et. I think I would go with the roundball. I would also get a Lyman Great Plains 54cal pistol for back up
Due to the slow sppeds of a ML pistol & many times poor shot groups, I would still call Clint Eastwood for a backup "multi-shot" 44 Mag.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:04 AM

Want to barrow my 69 caliber? 200 grains 2F .678 round ball, 015 patch down a rifled barrel, real accuarte, darn gun weighs 10 pounds unloaded. Just kidding on the barrow, might be pursuaded to sell. I cannot wait to get back from England to start shooting again. I do think the 58 caliber is big enough, but that is only from all the reading I have done.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was kinda' hoping someone from Green Mountain Barrel Co reads this forum/messageboard. I would like my new 72 caliber that'srifled to be a drop-in barrel for my Renegade stock.

I certainly withdrawl my suggestion if those gigantic groundballs are only accurate with 200 grains.

Do you prop yourself up against a tree trunk before squeezing that trigger?.... ouch-ouch-ouch!

Quick Reply: 58cal roundball too small???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.