Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Did more shooting, Without the pain >

Did more shooting, Without the pain

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Did more shooting, Without the pain

Old 08-29-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Did more shooting, Without the pain

Well after that ramrod shooting yesterday i went back out this evening and did some more shooting at 100 yards. I was 6" low but center and was shooting 4" groups. My load is 90 grains pyrodex RS and a hornady GP 385gn. Now im used to way better than 4" groups when i use powerbelts but i figured i would give the GP's a try this year. I adjusted my sights 3 notches and got it 2" low at 100 before it got to dark to shoot. Good news is i was able to tighten the groups up to roughly 3". Tomorrow im going to get it atleast 2" high at 100 yards and leave it there. Are 4" groups okay for 100 yards? I dont use a scope but jeez, It just seems like a lot of room for error out in the field with 4" groups. This will be my backup rifle this season. My flintlock has first 6 days and then if i cant get anything, out comes the inline.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Did more shooting, Without the pain

It sounds like you're tuning up just great.

Today I shot some powerbelts with good accuracy. Everything else I shot, I would not give you spit for. Hard to belive a rifle that shot so accurate last time would just be so poor today. I gave it an extra hard cleaning and will see if that made a difference.

Also I just remembered, I switched to a different oil to protect the barrel. I am currentlytesting this oil for a company and maybe that is what is causing this whole mess. Something else to consider.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

FG,

if you are sighting 2" high at 100 yards, be sure to see where you are hitting at 70 yards. It may surprise you just how high you will be when you lift the impact at 100 by 4". Roughly, you will be 3" higher at 75 yards making you in the neighborhood of 5". Its good for you to just try it, but for me, I think I would just leave the sights 2" low at 100 yards.

Phil
Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

hello, with open sights i have never felt great taking a shot at 100 yds on a buck.most of my shots are from 10 yards to 80 yds max.just today i went back to 1966.only 2 deer with high powered rifle,250-3000 were shot over 100 yards.rest with flintlock /savage 250 were under 100 yards.a LOT were 10 yards away.this is why i like flintlock so much,most of time your shots will be under 100 yards and open sights are fine.i carry a small set of binoculars because we have to make sure buck have 3 or 4 points to 1 side.i lost a few buck in last 3 years counting points but i dont care.its so much fun using flintlock that i dont even carry my scoped 250-3000 anymore.i sight my flint in at 13 yards and i get real tight groups with a maxi-ball 370. now i am using powerbelt 295.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

There is nothing wrong with 4" groups at 100yds with open sights, a big bucks vitals are the size of a basketball.