HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   What Grain Powerbelt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/151614-what-grain-powerbelt.html)

A5Shooter 08-12-2006 07:50 PM

What Grain Powerbelt

I was just wondering why so many ML Hunters shoot a heavy grain
Powerbelt or Sabot am i missing something?
I shoot the 223 grain Powerbelt Bullet with 100 grains of Triple seven
from my Omega with 2" groups at 100 yds.

Triple Se7en 08-12-2006 08:17 PM

RE: What Grain Powerbelt

1) Many folks want bigger bullets because one shot is all we get. Plus some of these same folks also want more value for their dollars spent. Getting a 450 gr bullet for the same price as the 180 gr bullet pleases them.

2) Also... MLs are different from one to the next. What works good in barrel #1001 coming down the factory manufacturing linemay not work good in barrel #1002. Also what works well at 100 yards (2" groups) may not do well from 150-200 yards.

lemoyne 08-12-2006 08:53 PM

Also due to the way the lighter ones fragament like a varmit bullet; if you like heavy loads[I like to keep the velicity around 2,000fps] and you might be shooting a varity of game Boar and bear as well as elk [if you draw a tag] overlap the deer season; so I might need penatration as well as velicity. Power belts will shoot under a 2 inch group in two of my inlines and two of my Hawkens rifles. So I do keep some around but the SaborTooth shoots just as good andwhileI am not done testing looks like better penatration at this time although I need to check out the new Platinium in about 300+ gr weight. I have come to the conclusion that in the inlines the Shock Waves are very good and very flat shooting. I still like to hunt with my Hawkens sometimes though. Lee

txhunter58 08-12-2006 08:58 PM

A5: Did a doubletake with your name there. LOL

If you are hunting whitetails, then you are good to go. Don't see any reason why you would ever need to change.

However, I hunt elk and a 223 gr would not do the job in all situations. I do have some 270 grain platinum Powerbelts that I want to try on whitetails though.

Turkeyhunter1 08-13-2006 03:57 PM

Start with 80 grains of powder, with a 295 powerbelt, then make adjustments.........IMO!

sproulman 08-13-2006 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Turkeyhunter1

Start with 80 grains of powder, with a 295 powerbelt, then make adjustments.........IMO!
hey, thats my load in my .50 caliber hawkins,hehe

Triple Se7en 08-13-2006 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Turkeyhunter1

That used to be my Traditions Deerhunter load 3-4 years ago. That's a perfect combination for many 1-48" twists.

Chris W. 08-14-2006 06:53 AM

With powerbelts, I won't shoot anything lighter than their 338 gr. platinum series. I've had several buddies that have used the lighter ones and I've seen way to many fail to give an exit wound. Now, I know an exit wound is not necessary to kill an animal, but it sure makes for a much better blood trailwhick makes it easier to find'em in the thick cedar brush around here. I used the 348 gr. aerotips last season and a buddy used the 405 gr. aerotips with great results. Exit wounds were excellent.

frontier gander 08-14-2006 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: txhunter58
However, I hunt elk and a 223 gr would not do the job in all situations. I do have some 270 grain platinum Powerbelts that I want to try on whitetails though.

223 Gn powerbelt is More than enough for an elk. If you get a good heart or double lung shot, its going to put that elk on its ass. Ive always used the 245 hollow point but may switch to 223 Gn this year. A 223gn powerbelt will drop the elk. Come on, People were hunting with round balls for hundreds of years and dropping black bears, elk, moose, buffalo exe. Its all about shot placement.

Pglasgow 08-14-2006 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

223 Gn powerbelt is More than enough for an elk. If you get a good heart or double lung shot, its going to put that elk on its ass. Ive always used the 245 hollow point but may switch to 223 Gn this year. A 223gn powerbelt will drop the elk. Come on, People were hunting with round balls for hundreds of years and dropping black bears, elk, moose, buffalo exe. Its all about shot placement.
FG,

Last I checked, none of those RB's had HP's. Even so, A 223 PBis legal for elk and will, I am sure, kill one right away. That is, unless one is forced to take an "off hand" shot from 100 yards and the pathetic little projectile finds itself needing to penetrate the shoulder plate of a bull elk. Not a good situation, no doubt theelk will probably die from the wound, but it may be after the season has already ended.