Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Want to start muzzle loading >

Want to start muzzle loading

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Want to start muzzle loading

Old 08-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Want to start muzzle loading

As to walmart,the one here in Heber Springs AR just got in both Z5 and thumb hole models of the Omega.
Last year when they closed out muzzle loading stuff I bought their last Omega for $160 so I will be keeping an eye one those thumb hole models at the end of the year bought an arm load of Shock Waves for 25% of what they usually cost to but the only powder they had left was 777 so I had to pass on that. Lee
Old 08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Spike

My advice is start simple and build from there. What I did was buy a $60 cva bobcat from wal-mart and all the accessories. I was into the sport for $150. I have since spent a fortune on an all out addiction to bp but the bobcat is hands down the most accurate and the most fun of all my guns. I still hunt with it almost all the time. Given that I have not spent the time with my flinters and inlines so no disrepect intended to those that shoot them. The little old bobcat is just plain fun.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM

i agree with nysbowhunter... You start with a cheap, easy on your wallet muzzleloader to build your muzzleloading skills on. Once you got everything down, then you can upgrade to your higher quality muzzleloader. What type of Muzzleloader did you want? Inline or sidelock? I started off with a $60 unflinished .45 cal cva blazer inline and used it for 2 years. I miss that rifle. But dont go right out and buy an expensive rifle, you need something thats cheap, good quality and affordable. Get like nysbowhunter did and buy either a $60-100 bobcat or a cva inline muzzleloader. I belive cabelas sells cva inlines that run any where from $110-300+. CVA inlines and sidelocks are very good quality and a great company to deal with. When a so called "gun smith" ruined my cva blazer, i emailed cva for a new barrel and they didnt have it so they said, send in your muzzleloader and we'll send you a referbished .50cal inline. And when i got it, that sucker was awesome and looked brand spankin new. You can even email cva and ask for a price list on their referbished rifles they sell.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Knight and T/C rifles sold at WalMart are good rifles for hunting. The traditional boys may cringe at them, but none the less, they are good rifles with good warrantys. You don't need to buy the most expensive rifle for the best accuracy. Get a Knight or T/C woth the longest barrel available, and shoot a Hornady 400 grain saboted XTP bullet. You will like it. I am assuming you are looking at inlines.