Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC 'CheapShots' - how many actually killed deer with them? >

TC 'CheapShots' - how many actually killed deer with them?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC 'CheapShots' - how many actually killed deer with them?

Old 08-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default TC 'CheapShots' - how many actually killed deer with them?

10 weeks to go until Muzzleloading season. Killed several deer last year with Hornady XTP .44 sabot and TC Mag Express 240gr XTP - including a really nice 8-pointer - but I just can't leave well enough alone. I'm seeing these 240gr T/C 'CheapShots' at the store for $3.95/30... and I'm tempted. Cheap is good, if it is effective. I'll be shooting them in CVA Buckhorn .50, which I bought to replace - augment - CVA Staghorn .50 cal.

I'd like to hear from those who've used them... and more to the point, who've actually taken deer with them. How well did they perform on game, relative to other projectiles you've used?

Upside is, they're cheap. Downside to them would be... what,compared to XTPs/other bullets in sabots? I'm guessing lower velocity, since they're all lead... other experiences?

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: TC 'CheapShots' - how many actually killed deer with them?

I've shot a lot of them and they are as accurate as the 240 grain XTP in my opinion. I only personally know one person that hunts with them. He took a doe last year at about 40 yards and knocked her flat. He got complete pass through. When I looked at the deer I was impressed with the wound channel. He started muzzleloader hunting just a few years ago. Not knowing anything about them he bought a CVA and some Cheap Shots and just loaded two pellets and started shooting.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:17 PM

I shot a large doe with one at about 20 yards or so last year. It was the first year I tried them. My brother uses them in NC with excellent results which that and the price influenced me to try them. The doe ran about 30 yards and dropped. I was using 100 grains of APP and got complete penetration broadsided. The trauma inside looked like I had shot her with a 30-06 rifle. For the price they do an excellent job and I can recommend them. Got mine from cabelas but wal-mart will sometimes carry them.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Poster Surveyor from another messageboard had a 200 yard harvest using them. Quite possibly the bestvalue in packaged sabot/bullets under 300 grains for 50 caliber MLs.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Dominant Buck

If you really look at their design, they are pure lead which would mean good expansion in most cases. They have a slight hollow point so if they do hit something hard, they are going to flatten out. They are a good long range projectile although I have only shot them to 100 yards myself. And last because of their low cost, they are something you can afford to practice with. I am going to try them more in some of the other 1:48 twist riflesas well and see how they do..
Old 08-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are what I shot out of my Thunderhawk I use 100gr of RS with them took7 deer with them before I went to Mag guns and loads. They penatrate better than they expand, they do expand but slowly unless you hit bone, they shot well and consistantly for me ;but if you want to go to the 1800 FPS+ range then soft lead bullets deform;I believe that 100gr is about max for them to shoot good. Lee
Old 11-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I can answer my own question about CheapShots performance. They're accurate in my rifle. With a clean barrel, they load easily. I killed a spike buck Thursday evening - hit him between the should blades. Bullet removed a couple inches of spine & thoroughly destroyed what would have been some neck roast, before exiting base of his throat. Deer fell straight down; perfect.

They're accurate, they're cheap, they kill the deer. What's not to like? Well... I do wish they came in a 300gr version.

Anybody else killed deer with TC CheapShot this year?