Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning

Old 07-31-2006, 07:18 AM

Default cleaning

i am getting ready to by a tc encore 209X50. i will be shooting 777 powder. i was wondering if anybody could tell me the best way and products to clean it? thanks.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cleaning

This stuff below works real well because it does it all. You never mentioned what kind of bullet alloyyou will be shooting ... ie... copper, lead, plastic, platinums... etc. We are pretty poor guessers here - so I gave you a product for most-all bullets. Scroll down about a quarter of the way until you reach Birchwood-Casey Bore Scrubber 2 In 1 Bore Cleaner.

Always include a bore brush when cleaning MLs. This is only an introduction to this product. You can probably buy it cheaper elsewhere. This is the best "do it all" cleaner I found. Only other options are to buy stronger individual cleaners that specifically solve one problem at-a-time... ie.. something for removing copper -- something for removing plastic... etc.

If all you plan on shooting are lead conicals or roundballs, the regular Bore Scrubber will do nicely. Be sure to include a good breechplug grease like CVA Breechplug & Nipple Anti-Seize Grease. With 777, it's always smarter to crack the plug loose after every 8-10 shots ... then re-snug it. With the Omega, you can use a regular socket & 1/4 inch socket wrench. I think it takes a 7/16's ... not 100% sure without looking.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/BirchwoodCasey/Maintenance.asp
Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: encore 209X50

i am getting ready to by a tc encore 209X50. i will be shooting 777 powder. i was wondering if anybody could tell me the best way and products to clean it? thanks.
The best solventforcleaningmuzzleloadersis plain hot water, the hotter the better!

All you need is a cleaning rod with jag, a funnel, a number of clean flannel cleaning patches of the right size, (I use 2.5"X2.5" GI patches) a towel or heavy rag to twist around the barrel for a handle to hold onto when the barrel is hot, and a tea kettle to boil your water in.

I pour two quarts of boiling water through my bores (three quarts for .58-.73 caliber), then patch them out immediately with four or fiveclean, dry patches. Bores are now DRY & CLEAN of any powder fouling of any kind, including 777 or BP!

For sidelocks, pour the water in through the muzzle & let it run out the cleanout screw hole in the nipple drum. For an inline, shove the funnel in the breech after you take out the breechplug, and let the water run out the muzzle.

As soon as the barrel cools so you can hold it in your hand, swab it out with a clean patch saturated with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH. Bores arenow CLEAN & PRESERVEDuntil next shooting session. Use SHEATH on ALL ferrous parts, inside & out after cleaning any powder fouling off them.

I learned this method of cleaning BP arms from an old-time ML gun builder in Indianapolis, who told me that this is how the Mountain Men cleaned their Hawken rifles. Makes sense, since there were no commercial gun-cleaning preparations available in the Rocky Mountain west in 1830!Except the Mountain Men used bear's oil or Sperm-whale oil instead of SHEATH!

It is not necessary to use a bore brush to clean a muzzleloader-you CAN use one, but it is not required. All you need is boiling water , patches, and SHEATH! Sorry! For inlines shot with 777, you do need some breechplug thread grease if you want to remove it again next time!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 AM

i'm probably going to use copper bullets, but i was also wondering what is seasoning the barrel. and how or should you do it.

if you can't tell i am new to muzzleloaders. i have shot them before, but never owned my own. thanks.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

i'm probably going to use copper bullets, but i was also wondering what is seasoning the barrel. and how or should you do it.

if you can't tell i am new to muzzleloaders. i have shot them before, but never owned my own. thanks.
Seasoning the bore is a process of smearing a product such as Thompson Center Natural Lube 1000 a.k.a Bore Butter on a patch through the barrel after cleaning. The wax mixture will coat the inside of the bore, sealing itand it is supposed to protect the rifle from rusting, and also help in loading, and accuracy. I will not get into the arguement of whether or whynot I believe that.

If you ever watched you old grandmother season her cast iron fry pans, it is the same principle. They do not scrub the fry pan clean but instead wipe all the crud out of it, and then as the pan accumulates more and more oils into it, they become almost stick free. I do season my fry pans. I do not season my rifle bores.

With the Encore, there is quality gun oil that will protect the rifle. You will probably be shooting sabots out the rifle so the need to "season" the bore does not really apply. You clean the rifle, and then use a product like Birchwood Casey Sheath on a patch and swab the barrel with the quality gun oil and protect it.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

REALLY HOT water and a lightly oiled patch at the end. Works great on my Hawken and Kodiak.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:54 PM

so since i will be shooting sabots i don't really have to worry about seasoning the bore. right?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seasoning the bore relates to PRB and break away sabots unless you decied to use them big bore sized chuncks of lead with a rainbow trajectory. Lee
Old 08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Spike

When I used to shoot my enfield I always used either boiling water and dry patches as mentioned above. I also used a solution of equal parts of Hydrogen Peroxide, Murphy's Oil Soap, and Rubbing Alcohol. You can mix them in the peroxide container, they will stay seperated so you have to shake them before using it. The solution will foam up out of the barrel. After you do this, then use HOT water for a second rinse. You only need to solution if the hot water isnt working on its own.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

so since i will be shooting sabots i don't really have to worry about seasoning the bore. right?
I use patched round balls, great big ol' pure lead conical bullets,
Power Belts, and sabotted bullets in my various types of muzzleloaders.

I once gave that "seasoning BS" a complete trial, per Ross Seyfried's instructions from RIFLE magazine.

IMO, it does nothing at all for a good rifle bore! Seasoning worksfor frying pans!

Leave it at that!

Quick Reply: cleaning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.