Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Discharging after the hunt >

Discharging after the hunt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Discharging after the hunt

Old 07-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Discharging after the hunt

The type of gun makes a big differance.A hawken assuming a well made one like a custom made or TC with PRB that is tight enough to shoot good with a heavy load can be cleaned with boiling water and dried compleatly be for loading then you wax the sides of the nipple so it seals moisture out with the cap on and replace the cap with a plastic cover and let the hammer down on it to seal out the moisture. If you use a sabot gun you need to seal both ends like with a condum or baloon over the muzzle and something to seal the back to I turned a piece of plastic to the shape of a 209 for my omega and wax the junction between the barrel and the drop block. A bit of thought and a good habits will keep the problems away;I have never had a misfire hunting and I started in 1962 with a muzzleloader, but the key is proper preperation and keeping the oil and moisture away from the load. Lee
Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 PM

i see no reason to discharge your ML everyday after a hunt. Ive left my winchester x150 inline loaded for 2 months untill rifle season started and it went off perfectly. Ive left my flintlock loaded for 2 weeks with no ignition problems at all. What type of muzzleloader are you using? Now if you are using a flintlock and its a wet hunting season then sure, i would discharge the ML and reload in the morning. But in dry weather, just pull the cap or empty the pan and store it in the rifle case untill morning.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: fillae

This will be my first season to ML hunt and I have a question concerning what to do with the loaded weapon after returning to camp after a hunt. With a rifle you obviously remove the cartridge in the chamber. What about with a ML. Do you just remove the cap or do you discharge the weapon and then reload when you go out again. Assume you are finished for the evening and will head back out in the morning. Also assume this is from a spike camp and the gun will not be in a vehicle.
I never shoot out a load...just creates a pointless cleaning chore.
I pull the loadwith a ball puller, or blow it out with compressed air back at the garage...then just wipe the bore with a lubed patch, load fresh the next morning.
Other reasons notto shoot after dark isbecauseI don't want to make unnecessary noise...don't want anybody to know where I'm hunting...don't want a neighbor to overreact and call 911, etc, etc, etc
Old 07-26-2006, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Ive left my winchester x150 inline loaded for 2 months untill rifle season...
I'm a newbie to MLing, so I'm just wondering. Why would you do that?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use something very similar to that. Different brand name, but same idea. After blowing the charge out, I run a patch or two through the barrel, and I'm good to go in the morning with a fresh charge. During our flintlock season, I leave my gun in the unheated garage 24/7 so I know the barrel will always be cold (PA's flintlock season starts after X-mas). The only time I bring the rifle inside is to completely clean it after I shoot it (hopefully at a deer), or if it happens to get wet/dirty.....then it goes back out to the garage.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:52 PM

i to leave my load ., unless there is dew., snow or rain ., then i pull the load out ., i also hunt when there is snow and cold therefor i do not bring my gun in a warm house or anywhere ., i pull it out of the case and set it up somewhere in the garage., thats how i do it and i have not had any problem with doing that .,
Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 PM

why did i leave it loaded for 2 months? simple, there was over a foot of snow and there was no way i was going out to shoot 1 bullet off! Besides, i used that load to take down a deer during rifle season. No point wasting power and lead!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM

Dang, over a foot of snow for 2 solid months prior to season. Where do you live anyway?

Sorry, but another newbie question. Why did you load it 2 months prior to hunting season if you weren't going to shoot it?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Wolfhound76

I question the legality of discharging a firearm after legal hunting hours.If it comes to needing to start with a fresh load I just push the load out and clean the gun.
I now know what this newbie hunter will do at the end of a hunting day. Some things are just so darned obvious, yet it never occurs to you[&:]....Thanks Cayugad and Wolfhound!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 PM

i live in colorado. in september i shot a doe and reloaded incase i needed another shot when i got down to her. i didnt. So i just swabbed the barrel out with some rubbing alcohol to get all the crud out and hung it on the wall untill november when my dad and brother went deer hunting. I had an elk tag and didnt get lucky. I got my dads deer tho. and that 2 month old load went off perfectly.

Quick Reply: Discharging after the hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.