HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Triple 777 vs. Pyrodex (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/149284-triple-777-vs-pyrodex.html)

lone hunterut 07-26-2006 11:15 AM

Triple 777 vs. Pyrodex

I am sure this has been asked before, but what are the differences, pros and cons, of Pyrodex and Triple 777. I currently using Pyrodex but before I restock I may consider Triple 777?

Thanks

jaybe 07-26-2006 11:25 AM

RE: Triple 777 vs. Pyrodex

You may get various opinions, but in my experience:
1. 777 is MUCH cleaner burning and easier to clean up.
2. 777 CAN cause a "crud ring", a buildup of harder, crusty-feeling fouling at the point where the bullet was seated on the powder. This can be easily removed by swabbing between shots (which many do anyway), but it can make reloading a second shot in the field tougher. I believe this is made less a problem if a cooler primer is used - regardless of which kind of ignition is used. In my White Ultra Mag, it is not a problem at all.
3. 777 is approx. 15% hotter than Pyrodex. In other words, a load of 85 gr. 777 is roughly equivalent to 100 gr. Pyrodex. You will get more shots per pound with 777, if you dropped down 10-15% on your load volume.
4. Some guys say 777 has a "sharper" recoil than Pyrodex. I can't tell the difference.

There's probably more, but those are the differences I am aware of (that I can remember).

Good Luck! :D

skeeter 7MM 07-26-2006 11:52 AM

couple things to add:
-T7 does not have the sulphur smellof pyrodex.
- less smoke produced
- note: 15% hotter only in loose form(pellets = the same pyro or T7)

cayugad 07-26-2006 12:47 PM

Why not purchase one pound of it, spend a day on the range and see how your rifle likes it. I think Triple Se7en is a great powder. There is the chance your rifle might make a hard crud ring, then again it might not. A simple swab is usually all that is necessary to remove the crud ring.

Triple Se7en is much more expensive and it is 15% more powerful like mentioned with the loose powders. So load accordingly. As for it being cleaner, well you have to clean the rifle at the end of the day anyway. If it takes you five minutes more because you shoot Pyrodex, then it takes five minutes more. Pyrodex is more corrosive, so you should always make sure you clean the rifle at the end of the day. Triple Se7en is more forgiving in that respect, but still, I clean my rifle...

If your getting good accuracy with the Pyrodex then remember that and keep a pound of that around. You did not mention what kind of rifle your shooting...

lone hunterut 07-26-2006 01:20 PM

Thanks CAYUGAD. I realize before I stick with a powder I will need to try it with my rifle. I shoot an Omega.

cayugad 07-26-2006 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: lone hunterut

Thanks CAYUGAD. I realize before I stick with a powder I will need to try it with my rifle. I shoot an Omega.
From reading countless posts by Omega shooters, some claim excellent results with Triple Se7en 2f and others complain about such terribile crud rings, that they stopped using the powder. I think a lot of that has to do with where you live, the kind of humidity and temperatures you encounter, and other factors such as gun care. Based on your rifle, it would be a a trial and error type experience for the first pound.

Depending on the size of the projectiles you shoot, have you ever shot Pinnacle 3f or APP. I shoot a Black Diamond XR (same barrel different ignition system basically) and the rifle really likes Pinnacle with 240 grain XTPs as does my Wolverine and Disc. Also there is no swabbing with pinnacle and clean up is a brease.

lemoyne 07-26-2006 04:46 PM

I also shoot an Omega and I tried every thing available, mine likes APP its by far the cleanest and so stable the range of FF loads it will shoot with minute of angle accuracy gives me a choice. It will shoot shock wave for an example the 50/40 -200gr will hold the group with 100gr APP FF or 150 gr APP FF the 250 gr SW will hold the the group with 90-100-120-130gr.
I shootthesame group with MMP 24 hph sabots and90 or 100 gr APP FF and 250gr XTP and this is just a sample a small one at that. It will also shoot very well with Pryodex RS and 777 But they are a much bigger pain the Pryodex is sloppy to clean after and corrosive and the crud rings from 777 make you clean after every shoot even if there is a deer standing in front of you or take a chance of a blown or ringed barrel. There is also Gold and Pinnacle which are very good in some guns .Lee

hunterdeneugene 07-27-2006 06:53 AM

My vote is for American Pioneer Powder. Cleanest shooting and it hasa natural lubricant in it so each follow up shot loads as easy as the one before. They claim thousands of shots without cleaning...I tried 12 with no loss of accuracy.

cataway 07-27-2006 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: jaybe

You may get various opinions, but in my experience:
1. 777 is MUCH cleaner burning and easier to clean up.
2. 777 CAN cause a "crud ring", a buildup of harder, crusty-feeling fouling at the point where the bullet was seated on the powder. This can be easily removed by swabbing between shots (which many do anyway), but it can make reloading a second shot in the field tougher. I believe this is made less a problem if a cooler primer is used - regardless of which kind of ignition is used. In my White Ultra Mag, it is not a problem at all.
3. 777 is approx. 15% hotter than Pyrodex. In other words, a load of 85 gr. 777 is roughly equivalent to 100 gr. Pyrodex. You will get more shots per pound with 777, if you dropped down 10-15% on your load volume.
4. Some guys say 777 has a "sharper" recoil than Pyrodex. I can't tell the difference.

There's probably more, but those are the differences I am aware of (that I can remember).

Good Luck! :D

what you said about the cooler primer got my attention.
i have all ways used a standered primer and like you said theres that crud ring to deal with.and like you said i swab between shots just to keep it consistent, so i just dealt with it.
then i found a primer that Remington offers made for muzzeloading .
and now i did not have the issues that i normally have loading ,there is still something there like a crud ring but ya can easily push past it.and the primer is a hard primer so theres no way that an encore firing pin will get stuck in it(ya been there done that)

Underclocked 07-27-2006 11:39 AM

Pyrodex P is also a great powder and shouldn't be dismissed without a try. True, it is more corrosive and has the rotten egg smell but Triple7 also requires a thorough cleaning and the smoke has quite an acrid, breath-sucking odor of it's own.

P is also cheaper, sometimes very much cheaper. It is fine grained, meters well, easier to ignite, and provides good accuracy in many rifles. There is no hard crud ring to deal with and far less chance of stuck breech plugs.

Both are good powders and you will find people that praise/curse one or the other or both. I use both.