Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much powder?

Old 07-07-2006, 02:44 PM

Default How much powder?

I have a .50 cal Hawken a friends built for me. I use the smokeless powder. and 150 grain pellets. How much powder do I put in? 150? If not how much? thanks.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 PM

Default RE: How much powder?

If you put smokeless down the barrel of anything but a Savage MK rifle, your a dead man! Even 150 grains of pellets, if it doesn't say magnum on the barrel, don't go over 100 grains or two pellets. If you value your life, you will heed this warning!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Are you thinking of APP or Triple 7 pellets - and referring to them as "smokeless"? Both of these powders are much "cleaner" than regular black powder, but are still black powder substitutes. Regular smokeless powder, like what is used in rifle and shotgun loads, is obviously dangerous in any MZrifle except the few (two?) that are rated for smokeless. And even then, I'm kinda nervous about the idea.

Your Hawkin is a traditional gun and was designed around using charges up to 100 grains or so. I have one of these rifles, and it likes the medium weight Powerbelt bullets with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. I have also used the 385 gr. Buffalo Bullet with this same load. If you want "high performance", look into a Knight or T/C inline. And if you want to load smokeless (which I don't personally think is worth the trouble), get a Savage ML II or a White.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:24 PM

Do you mean real smokeless?! And 150gr at that!

Can you say "BOOOOOM!!!!!!!!"
as in you blow your face off!

Now if you are talking Black Powder substitute like Pyrodex, Triple Seven, etc. A reg rifle (not marked magnum) would be set for a MAX charge of 100gr, but maximun charges are not always best. Start with 80gr of black powder or one of it's substitutes and slowly work your way up to 100, 5gr increases at a time and see which one shoots best for your particular rifle and bullet.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:13 PM

The guy at my pro shop said it will work...
this is what I have.
Hawken .50 cal.
100 grainsSelect HogdonPyrodex
TC Cold swagged pure lead balls. 175 grain.

Will this work? Please tell me because I dont want to get blown up.

I have used the gun with 100 grain of black powder. I would think this is the same? But then again I know nothing about black powder.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: phall2

I have a .50 cal Hawken a friends built for me. I use the smokeless powder. and 150 grain pellets. How much powder do I put in? 150? If not how much? thanks.
Most Hawkins rifles have a max load of 110 grains of loose powder. Also a Hawkins, depending on the maker, T/C, Traditions, CVA, what ever are not made to shoot pellets. Due to the shape of the breech and the #11 ignition pellets are not the kind of thing to use. The only traditional rifles that shoot pellets are the T/C Firestorm and the Traditions PA Pellet as far as I remember.

Get some loose powder. Pyrodex RS or Pyrodex P would be good powder, Goex 3f is my favorite in a .50 caliber. If you want to use the APP or Triple Se7en 2f, again, do not load more then 90 grains of powder.

Get some Pyrodex RS and some .490 diameter roundball and .015 pre lubed patch. Load 70 grains of loose powder and a patched round ball and start from there. If the accuracy is good, then increase the charge 10 grains to 80 grains and see how the group holds. Keep moving up the powder scale until the groups fall apart. Stop at 110 grains of powder.

If you're going to shoot Triple Se7en as a powder you might want to add a wonder wad/bore button between the powder and the patch. T-7 likes to burn patches sometimes...

No smokeless powder in your muzzleloader. We want you to enjoy the sport. Also try and find a manual for your rifle. In the manual there are loading guidelines and other useful information.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:30 PM

Ok,time toteach some terminology.

Smokeless is completely different than Black Powder
or BP Substitutes. ( Pyrodex, Hodgon 777, American Pioneer, etc, etc )

If you are using Pyrodex, you are NOT using smokeless powder, and that is what everyone is concerned about.

As to the rest.....
100grains is fine. My point of starting lower and building up is more to do with accuracy for your firearm and with the bullet you are using. I've had Hawkins that shot best with 100gr and a miniball, and ones that did best with 85gr under a round ball. It allcomes down to the individual rifle.
Just don't try more than 100gr unless your rifle barrel has been made for more, and then you usually find they are proofed for no more than 110 or 120 at the Max, but MOST are maxed at 100gr.

Pure lead rounds are fine also. Some rifles seem to like them. But you'll need to add some patches to your list of shooting supplies.

Have fun,
(safely)
Old 07-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I noticed your original post mentioned pellets. Do not use pellets with a standard or musket nipple Sidelock/Hawkens. You will need an aftermarket209 nipple adapter for pellet use. Best way-to-go is with loose powder. I recommend any FFF or Pyrodex P.... ie... finer powders
Old 07-07-2006, 06:56 PM

Thanks for all the help. So im good to go?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

The guy at my pro shop said it will work...
this is what I have.
Hawken .50 cal.
100 grainsSelect HogdonPyrodex
TC Cold swagged pure lead balls. 175 grain.
No pellets, only loose powder! and Select will work just fine. It's nothing more then triple filtered Pyrodex RS. This list might help you in getting ready to shoot...

WHAT DO I NEED WHEN I AM ABOUT TO SHOOT MY RIFLE[/b]

Black powder rifle supplies

DECIDE ON THE KIND OF POWDER[/b]

Pyrodex RS or select
- loose powder[/ul]
- #11 percussion caps. CCI Magnum or 1075 RWS are my favorite.

[/b]
TOOLS NEEDED[/b]
[/b]

See through powder measure
Cleaning jag
Bore guide (not essential)
Cleaning mop
Patch worm
Bore brush
Short starter
Capper/de-capper
Loading jag for the projectile
Nipple pick
Breech plug removal tool –[/ul]

CLEANING SUPPLIES[/b]

Isopropyl alcohol 91%
Car windshield washer fluid
Bore butter or lube for conical bullets and patches
Gun Oil – Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL, Breakfree CLP
Q-tip safety swabs
Cleaning Patches
Bore Solvents[/ul]

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
Butch’s Bore Shine
M.A.P. – Murphy’s oil soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide[/ol]

[/b]
[/b]
PROJECTILES[/b]
[/b]

Roundball
and patch
Breech plug grease – CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease (for the threads of the nipple but not absolutly necessary)[/ul]

Quick Reply: How much powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.