HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   New barrel, Tough Choice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/145358-new-barrel-tough-choice.html)

Sharp Shooter 06-17-2006 03:31 PM

New barrel, Tough Choice

I am not sure what barrel I want to get. I am going to buy a new one. I can't decide if I want to get a 58cal Roundball barrel or a 54cal fast twist for ball-ets and conicals. What do you guys all think? I like the whole tradition thing about the roundballs and for a Colorado rifle the 58cal roundball would be perfect. I like how easy it is to load ball-ets though and conicals are neet to. I know both will kill what I want them to but I have a tough choice. I like how Cayugad and alot of other talk about the 58cal roundball on other forums. I am leaning towards the 58cal.

cayugad 06-17-2006 03:40 PM

RE: New barrel, Tough Choice

If I lived where you lived and wanted to hunt traditional, it would be the .58 caliber roundball twist barrel. This would be able to handle about anything I wanted to hunt. If you can get within 100 yards, I think you can get the job done.

The trouble with getting a fast twist barrel, is it might shoot sabots better then conicals. There is no guarantee that a fast twist 1-28 twist barrel will shoot conicals, although I suspect they would. Perhaps a better choice would be a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in .54 caliber. This might be a better choice here.

roundball 06-17-2006 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

I am not sure what barrel I want to get. I am going to buy a new one. I can't decide if I want to get a 58cal Roundball barrel or a 54cal fast twist for ball-ets and conicals. What do you guys all think? I like the whole tradition thing about the roundballs and for a Colorado rifle the 58cal roundball would be perfect. I like how easy it is to load ball-ets though and conicals are neet to. I know both will kill what I want them to but I have a tough choice. I like how Cayugad and alot of other talk about the 58cal roundball on other forums. I am leaning towards the 58cal.
You can get a 28" .58cal barrel from TC with a 1:48" twist...it will shoot both round ball and conicals accurately...but to be honest, unless you know for sure you're going hunting for Grizzley or something, I can't imagine why yoiu ever want to shot a 535 grain conical.

You can get a 33" .58cal barrel from GM with a 1:70" twist forround balls only...I have onein Flintand it'soutstanding, extremely accurate, etc...279grn ball will take most anything on the NA continent.

Sharp Shooter 06-17-2006 03:50 PM

I know that that 58cal will take a Grizz with roundballs. I might go with the GM 58cal roundball. By the way... I would like to go Grizzley hunting some day. If GM had that rifled 62cal they were thinking about, I would get that. Cayugad, do you plan to hunt with your 58cal this year?

cayugad 06-17-2006 04:51 PM

Yes I do.. I will deer hunt a couple days this year with it.

eldeguello 06-18-2006 08:37 AM

As cayugad said, "If I lived where you lived and wanted to hunt traditional, it would be the .58 caliber roundball twist barrel. This would be able to handle about anything I wanted to hunt. If you can get within 100 yards, I think you can get the job done."

I would use this rifle with a PRB and as much powder as you can stand to get a flat trajectory out to 150 yards, where it would still kill anything you shoot it at!

I have a .58 with a 1/60" twist. It shoots either a PRB or a 570-grain, .575" minie ball (Lyman 57730) with equal accuracy and to the same POI at 100 yards using 120 grains of GOEX FFg.

That's the 57730 between two .45/70 rounds..... At 1200 FPS, it makesa pretty potent load!

lemoyne 06-18-2006 09:23 AM

Well I like them all, for PRB
36= small game
45= target
50 =deer out to 100yd
54 =Big Game to 150 with 1 in 66 to 1 in 80 twist and heavy load
58=Big game to 100 yd good but rainbow trajectory makes longer range very difficult,twist not good for heavy enough loads for good velocity.
If you could still get the 1 in 100 twist and stand up to the recoil it would be a real stomper. Lee