Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to Black Powder >

New to Black Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to Black Powder

Old 05-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New to Black Powder

ORIGINAL: nodog

Are there any good books a guy could get in order to learn about firearms? Not in a manual type, but more in a story like your coments above about elk hunting. More of a field testing format. I'd like to learn about it for obvious reasons to blow my brother away sometime when were just about to go to sleep before the morning hunt. We get together every year.
One good book I got many many years ago whenI because a member of the NMLRA was called Muzzleloading... to begin with. It was written by Don Davis. He discusses the traditional muzzleloader in his book in a very laid back fashion. I still re-read it from time to time as I find it a wealth of information for only being 75 pages long. If you could find that book I'd get it. I am sure there are many other books out there.

Another great way to learn about the traditional rifles is attend a Rendezvous in your area. Many of the people who re enact or attend them are just full of stories, and helpful ideas. Most of them are pretty easy to get along with. I used to do the Rendezvous wayfor about 20 years but finally gave it up. Sleeping on the hard ground in a lean too about killed me. Couldn't hardly get the old bones off the ground in the morning.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks I'll look that up. Have been to some reinactments and the people there are great to talk too, always good with the kids.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Out of print, rare and a bit expensive. Hold on to it.The hunt is on!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: early

how's recoil on these things??????????that cresent metal butt-plate gonna hurt me??????????????????

thank's again fer yer help!!!!!!!!!!!

early
The recoil on a Lyman Trade rifle is next to nothing in my opinion. Much more comfortable to shoot then my .54,.58, or .62 caliber Renegades. The Lyman Trade rifle is a nice fitting rifle. You can really settle into it. It shoots roundball excellent, and it shoots Powerbelts!! 405 grain Powerbelts shot very good out of my Trade Rifle.

This is my first time out at 30 yards shooting my newLyman Trade Rifle. I should point out it is a flintlock and the first one I ever owned. As you could see shots #1, & #2 took me by surprise when that pan exploded with fire by my face. ThenI calmed myself down and started drilling. I was shooting 95 grains of Goex FFg and a home casted .530 roundball I casted out of old lead pipe. I was using some .018 pillow tick I buy by the yard at Wal Mart as patch, and MM means I was using moose milk as a lube. The Trade Rifle is a real shooter. I got mine for D&R Sports for around $249.00 new. Whether they still sell them I could not tell you.

I like the Lyman. It is real comfortable to shoot. I also had a chance to use their customer support. I needed the screws that hold the BarrelRib & Thimbles on. Mine were not lock tighted in when I got the rifle and the first time out, I pulled the ramrod out after a couple shots, and the screws fell into the snow... Well I called Lyman and they sent me all of them I wanted no questions asked.
great info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thank's again

early
Old 05-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

all gun prices are going nuts. my beretta shotgun has gone up 250 dollars in just 2 years or less. they say INFLATION is not going up. thats biggest lie i see on tv. i feel we are in for a big correction in market soon.it has to stop.