Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Alk & Wwarsh change group size? >

Alk & Wwarsh change group size?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Alk & Wwarsh change group size?

Old 05-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Alk & Wwarsh change group size?

I went shooting this morning and instead of the 1" and under I have become have been getting they ran 2 and 2.5 when I switched back to spit wiping between shots the groups sucked up to a ragged hole again.
It seems to work for every one else, so what am I doing wrong?
The gun cleaned easy loaded smooth and easy; better than normal as a matter of fact but the groups opened right up, I am at a loss on this on unless it was a coincidince. Did it with 200gr SW and the 250 SW both. Did you all have to change powder loads or any thing when you started using ALK and WW? You are using 50/50 Right? Lee
Old 05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Alk & Wwarsh change group size?

Ain't that wierd? I wonder if the alk/WW solution is getting your bore cleaner than spit, and that's making the difference. I wouldn't say you're doing anything wrong, but it would seem that with your powder and bullet combination, they like spit better! I'd stick with it!

IM jaybe
Old 05-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Well if spit gave me better groups, then I'd be spitting down the barrel. I really can not tell you why the bore swab described caused the open groups. I use the same formula and have excellent results with it. I normally shoot Goex and need all the cleaning I can get....

It is interesting range results there. Thanks for posting. What powder were you shooting?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM

I can't say for sure, but I think jaybe may have hit
on the reason! With the spit swab you may be ending
up with more of a fouled situation in the bore. The
50/50 mix is giving you a cleaner & less fouled bore.
Therefore your groups are opening-up. But if SPIT
worked I'd use it. I shoot APP rem klenbores & the
50/50 mix works great for me in my Omega.
Chemically speaking the ammmonia is probably
removing some deposits in the bore that human
saliva isn't! My 2-cents Danny
Old 05-08-2006, 06:26 PM

I guess I would use what works! But just for the sake of conversation, how much Alk/WW are you using? I only use just enough to get a patch damp, and then run a couple of dry patches through the bore afterwards. Is your WW wash the summer blend?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad may have hit the nail on the head. If you are using a product (powder) that does not fowl the bore to much it may be getting too clean (yeh I know) between shots. I use regular bore cleaner at the range and use the alchohol to clean out the bore before I start shooting only. I will sometimes reuse it if I have got the bore too wet but usually it is my oil removing solvent only.

Use the alchohol for your first shot then your "spit" and see if it all works good. I tend to use what works not what everyone else raves about.

I like T/C #13 at the range for spit clean and Hoppe's elite. both make an exellent spit patch. I would try one of them for between shot cleaning. Or just stay with spit.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use APP FF and just moisten the patch. When I use the ALK & WW 50/50 blend it loads real easy so I would like to get it to work. At the moment I have the summer blend of WW the winter blend is real hard to come by in AR this time of year but I am looking. Any body use a 75/25 mix? Lee
Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Using a powder that burns as clean as APP a regular "spit patch" should be plenty. Use what works...
Old 05-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Dominant Buck

It might very well be that APP does not like the mixture of the alcohol. When I shoot APP or Pinnacle, I seldom even swab the barrel. So perhaps this is the case, just the combination of APP and the cleaning fluid. You can always use it at the end of the day for clean up.. Until then, keep on spitting...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad, you may be right, but I have a hunch [because it loads so easy that the soap in the WW is lubricating the sabot].But I am inclined to try a different mix or a different soap it works so good I hate to just give up on it. I also wonder if other people might be experancing the same thing maybe to a lessor degree and not realizing it. Lee

Quick Reply: Alk & Wwarsh change group size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.