Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rust Rust Rust

Old 04-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rust Rust Rust

I also had rust problems using Bore Butter in the bore as a rust preventitive, after cleaning, before storing. I only use Bore Butter as a lube for Maxi-Balls, and sometimes as a lube for patches for round balls. I use Goex Black Powder, and use Clenzoil, in the bore to keep rust out after cleaning, in all my ML's. No problem with fouling, so I don't agree with the "use no petroleum products" myth. IMHO some petro products will cause fouling, but not all.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dang guys....I must be getting old...I remember the first ads that were in all the mags for bb...It don't seem like 25 years ago....Where in heck did they all go???
Old 04-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Oil based works fine, BreakFree CLP both cleans and protects. Just swab it out good, before you shoot it, and fire a couple or three primers through it before you load it. I've done this for years, using different types of good gun oil, with no problems and no rust.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 PM

I love the BreakFree CLP. I use it on all my guns, bikes and anything else that needs superior lubrication and rust prevention.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:39 PM

Bore butter may be at fault, I'm not sure but I
have a Remington model 34, that my dad left me
when he passed. I don't know how long he kept
BB in it. But he bought it in 1951. I still use BB
on it and no rust. I also have an AK-47 I
brought back from Nam. It has been stored with
BB in it for many years. And I do mean stored
for it has a working full Auto spring & lever. But
you have got to get rid of all moisture before
applying BB.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

i used bore butter,oh,for 35 years. got my 2 new hawkins tc .50 cal in 1971.never saw any rust. NOW,you guys scared me out of bore butter, so i am using shaeth for storage only. i use bb or crisco for my maxi-balls or patch lube on rb.i also still swab barrel with bb at start of shooting rb.i just dont use it to store anymore.at our beretta shotgun shoots only 1 lube is used. BREAKFREE.but this is shotguns not blackpowder.i still like bore butter for pushing a tight patch and ball down barrel and will continue to use it or crisco.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

I have been using BB for 25 years now with no problem and I have 2 guns that I haven't bothered with in a couple of years. Your post got me sceard so I just ran down and checked them and they are fine. I think your problem could come from another sorce. Mike
No Mike... Bore Butter was the likely source of his rusty bore. In 25 years, you just have never made a mistake applying it -- while the prior user in this case did.

Thirty years of no maintenance was what caused the rust , not the Bore Butter . I've never used anything else and my bores shine like mirrors .
Old 05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Thirty years of no maintenance was what caused the rust , not the Bore Butter . I've never used anything else and my bores shine like mirrors .
Wrong!

The Bore Butter "natural" components/ingredients break down over the years.... either forming new moisture underneathduring decomposition (or) moisture wasn't entirely removed during the original application.

Besides, I have seen more than one name brand gun oil protect almost endlessly- using only one boreapplication - for 30 years.

Keep using it Kevin... keep-up your no-mistake applications and occasional checkups/re-applications. If not, then the rust time clock begins it's countdown to destruction.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

It still goes back to the fact - It is not the product - it is operator. BB has worked for years for a lot of people and will continue working. Your decision not to use the product is your choice. Other people have made other choices. Not even sheath will work all the time in every instance. Take care of your equipment and it will take of you - I think some Marine said that sometime of course the inverse is probably true also.... ignore your equipment and may fail.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Wrong!

The Bore Butter "natural" components/ingredients break down over the years.... either forming new moisture underneath during decomposition (or) moisture wasn't entirely removed during the original application.

Besides, I have seen more than one name brand gun oil protect almost endlessly - using only one bore application - for 30 years.

Keep using it Kevin... keep-up your no-mistake applications and occasional checkups/re-applications. If not, then the rust time clock begins it's countdown to destruction.
You did catch the "no maintenance" part of my comment , didn't you ? I don't dispute that BB breaks down with age , nearly all products(including oils) do . Sloppy/no maintenance is and always has been the #1 cause of firearms failures regardless of the product used . Product bashing is also against site rules .

Quick Reply: Rust Rust Rust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.