Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 White Ulta Mag - Work Out #1 >

White Ulta Mag - Work Out #1

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White Ulta Mag - Work Out #1

Old 04-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default White Ulta Mag - Work Out #1

I really wish I were a writer, because I would really like to give this gun all the credit it deserves. I am an old guy with old eyes and set in old traditions - so for me the stick out the side of the bolt on the left side is still something I am learning about, don't get me wrong it works, but for athestics I am still looking for a bolt handle... If I could afforda Model 98 maybe? I would be happy.

Well 55 shots later, this gun is a gun! a gun I could really learn to love. The barrel is excellent... loads great - shoots better than I can shoot.

I did end up putting the Leupold 3x9x32 compact scope on the gun and I am really happy with that choice. Late last night I was even thinking of putting a Sightron S1 on but running out on the porch at night with both of them I stayed with the Leupold.

Everywhere I went where I normally shoot - there were campers - they were everywhere, so I ended up at Graves Meadow in less than the best conditions, shooting into the sun and shooting across an opening in the stand of timber that funneled a cross-wind right through the shooting range @ about 80 feet.

I was somewhat concerned about shooting 209's because of Underclocked suggestion that White had not got that nipple quite right. I was concerned going in because it did not havea spring to even hold the primerin the nipple - so I was worried that it might fall out.. It did not. I was also concern about sticking a 209 in the nipple. With the scope and the limited area of the bolt opening this was a concern. I took the #11 nipple with me in case I had to switch. I did stick 3 of them but I was able to free them with a 209 tool I got from RMC. I did find that if I cleaned the primer pocket every few shots with a wet windex patch and a pair tweezers and a pick I avoided that problem (next time I will take Q-tips and windex). After I shot fifteen I did field strip the bolt out of the reciever & checked the nipple, I hate doing this - but new gun - I tought I had better - no trouble turned easily to start it out - turned it back in cleaned up the bolt and the inside of the reciever with windex dryed everything oiled them and shot 40 more shots.. Been home for 3/4 hours now and siddenly I thought... 40 shots???so, I went over and removed the bolt and atempted to remove the plug. It was tight but I was able to turn it out with the tool and a little screw driver insterted in the tool for leverage. I never did install the #11 nipple next trip maybe.

Cayugad and Underclocked have verified that the gun will shoot those great big "white man" type chunks of lead. My mission todaywas, will it shoot those smaller "native american" little bullets - it will!!!

My opinion - the gun will be a great hunter - but I would not want to shoot it everyday at the range - gets to dirty to quick - I am just to use to my other guns - which I can spend a day at the range and not spend much time cleaning until I get home.

I really like the feel of the gun and the test sheet that came with it says the trigger is set at 4.5lbs - it really is a soft 4.5 - it shoots great (when you do not have the bolt safety locked - but it is a great safety thought)

Well, I have taken up to much space now - so I will quit - BUT what a nice gun... and if DOC White says it will shoot 120 grains of Pyro with a 600 grain lead bullet - and the only reason he said 120 is becuae accuracy falls off after 120 - it really must be a tough gun also.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: White Ulta Mag - Work Out #1

Do I see vertical stringing? Going up with the fouling?

Nice targets what are you guys buying them for? The website says $429.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

My question is.. what didn't it shoot well? For a first time out, you getting used to the rifle, that is some impressive groups you have going there. I take it you were shooting from a good solid bench rest.

Did you notice the recoil from the rifle, or should I say, lack of recoil? They really are an impressive rifle. I am going to hit the range a little more next week if I can get my work done.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:34 PM

Well I'm glad you got out and had some fun! Sounds
to me like you might keep this one for a while! Isn't
it great just to get outside, away from other humans,
where the noises we hear we can understand.
I have not been able to get out and shoot for a
couple weeks, looks like it might be a couple more!
Oh well glad you got to play with your new toy, I
just knew, them 300grainers, would figure into the
mix!! Good Shooting...................Danny
Old 04-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Think you did a fine job on the write-up and the targets too.Have never shot a white or have I ever seen one except for picsso I really enjoyed reading about it.Hope you keep us posted as you progress.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

That 100 yard group is pretty amazing consider three different bullets were used. 8 shots into what, about 2.5"? And that's using those puny plastic things.

Meant to add that I think you will like the #11 system better (with the cap bolt installed). Still gets pretty cruddy in the action but it hasn'tstopped my shooting sessions. If you use the 11s with the primer bolt -it might do so pretty quickly.

Now just try it with some of the big boolits for which it was really designed.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Underclocked.. when I saw that 100 yards target I was thinking the same thing. Talk about hunting accuracy already with little or no tweeking.. I think I will shoot a few sabots tomorrow. I have some .458 405 grain I want to see what it does with about 100 grains of Triple Se7en.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

That is the one bullet I didn't shoot .458's. The other night when I was trying the different bullet sabot combination - it seemed to go down awful easy so I was a bit worried about blow by. But on a semi fouled barrel they will probably do just fine. I was going to shoot some but I just got into shooting what I was shooting then trying to find breakable ground targets I forgot all about them. and then worst of all I ran out of powder otherwise I might still be out there.

I look at that target and I want those cloverleafs that all those guys talk about... Big 6x6 shoots such better targets - he would look at that and probably think gotta tighten that up... But I really think that is the best I can do in natural weather and winds. I do not think even weighing the loads would help that much.

I gotta tell you I am amazed at that gun - I am amazed that they are not selling right along all the big boys - I am certainly pushing them around here but the thought that they may not be available that much longer will bother a few. If I had the money, well if I had the money I would go find a 98 - with a real bolt, but if I had the money I might even buy another one - not sure why but gosh this one is quality and I can ony imagine it's strength.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 98 doesn't have a bolt handle - it's just a pull-cock action. Wanna see a picture of one that lives here with me?

Old 04-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Or how about a Super91 Bob Bowers special?

Quick Reply: White Ulta Mag - Work Out #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.