Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Boy, do I feel stupid! >

Boy, do I feel stupid!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Boy, do I feel stupid!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Boy, do I feel stupid!

I admit it, I messed up last weekand bought the wrong rifle. It arrived on Tuesday of this week and it took me all of 10 seconds to realize I had a problem. My brand new Lyman GPH looked great as I opened the box and saw it for the first time, then my heart sank, it was a left handed gun.

The morning the auction was to end I was very tired after working all night and was waiting on a confirmation email from the seller about a question I had about their listing on gunbroker. The auction was almost over so I took a chance and bid on it at the last minute. In my less than pristine condition I must have clicked on the wrong listing and bid onthe left handed version instead of the right handed version. I did not catch the mistake untill the gun arrived a week later.

I have a call into the dealer and hope to get this resolved tomorrow, I just hope they still have the right handed version in stock so I can swap it out. Next time I will reread the ad before hitting the bid button, live and learn I guess.

I hope everyone is having a good week, I'll let you know how mine is going after tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Boy, do I feel stupid!

dmurphy317

OUCH! - hope everything works out OK

Old 04-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with that sometimes they can be real sticklers they don't like getting left handed guns back cause there hard to get rid of.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't some of those sites giveyou have a 3 day change your mind period I believe? Although that is normally when something about the rifle was not as promised. Left hand rifles are strange. The people that really need them tend to learn to shoot the right hand models. If they ever shot a left hand model they would be really pleased. My friend is a lefty, and I have shot his left hand Hawkins. After I did I wondered how for years he shot a right handed rifle until his kids all chipped in and bought him his Hawkins. That flash in front of the dominant eye is a real hoot!

I hope this all works out for you. If not, you could try to resell it and get some of your money back and write it off to being too tired. Maybe list it on some of the forum sites that have buy and trade categories and see if a lefty is in need. All you need is your money back.

By the way, that's a great rifle you picked out even if it is backward. Of course you could learn to shoot it. It would sure be a conversation piece if anyone every asked you why you were using that rifle...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

LOL!! Sorry being a lefty I find it kinda funny. I am so use to shooting righthanded sidelocks I don't think I would be comefortable with a lefthanded one myself.

Then again if you need to get rid of it on the cheap and I have something worth trading it for don't be a stranger
Old 04-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I have good news and bad news.

First, the good news is the gun is on its way back to the dealer, there was a 5 day inspection period and no questions asked. BTW, the dealer turns out to be the gunbroker division of D&R sports out of Penn. They've taken good care of me so far. Should have my money back early next week. For any of you lefty's out there, the gun will most likely be back on gunbroker sometime next week. If they list it for what I bought it for, it will be $280 no reserve.

Second, the bad news is that they didn't have any right handed models of what I want in stock, which is why they are sending my money back.

Next question. My plan is to buy a 50 cal GPH and add a 54 cal GPR barrel for the best of both worlds. But,I havean opportunity to get a 54 GPH right now. What do you guys think about getting the 54 over the 50 in the fast twist?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Dominant Buck

In that Great Plains Hunter.. the 1-32 twist in .54 caliber is a beautiful caliber. You can hunt anything you want to hunt. That would be a great choice. Further down the road you can always buy another barrel for roundball or what ever you want, in any caliber.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I would get the 50-cal 1-32" twist -- then the 54-cal in 1-66" twist.

I am not a proponent of using a 45-cal sabot/bullet in a 54-cal rifle. To me, that seems like a completer waste of what the barrel is designed for -- that being a much larger hole.

So unless you intend on using conicals in that 54-cal fast twist barrel, I would not buy the 54-calfor shooting smaller sabots.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:21 PM

Great Plains Hunter in 54cal. is sweet. And as cayugad
posted you can get the other barrel later. Just my 2-cents.
Danny
Old 04-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are making this tough. I thought I had it all figured out, get the 50GPH and a 54 GPRbarrel and maybe a peep sight.

I shoot the No Excuses 460 in my inline 50 and thought I could use the same thing in the GPH and not have to buy so many different bullet sizes. I also like the SST/Shockwave bullets in my inline. I do have a quantity of 54 cal conicals a friend gave me, not sure what weight but they look a lot like Maxi's, 1 large groove and 1 smaller groove and a coned nose andflat base. I probably have close to a hundred of them that he couldn't use anymore. I thought I woud try them in my sons 54 Bobcat, if they didn't work I could always melt them down and recast them into something else.

Having a 54 cal fast twist would open up some "massive" opportunities for damaging shots with a huge chunk of lead thats for sure. Now I have to rethink this whole plan. THANKS GUYS.

Have a great weekend, don't worry about me, I'll just be sitting here burning up a few more brain cells.