HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   How do I measure powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/13790-how-do-i-measure-powder.html)

Back40 10-25-2002 06:17 AM

How do I measure powder

Looking to get involved with blackpowder and got a rookie question. Whats the best way to measure powder. I hear clean shot is better (cleanup wise)than pyrodex pellets.

I'm sure I'll have more questions coming.

Thanks for the feedback...Back40!

eldeguello 10-25-2002 07:40 AM

RE: How do I measure powder

Set your measure to throw the amount of powder you want to use. With a pouring spout on your powder can pour the powder into the measure until it mounts up a little on the top of the coulumn, just above the cutoff plate. Then tap on the measure with the pouring spot or a screwdriver or stick, like the stem of the short starter, to settle the powder just to the point that it is not quite flush with, or below, the cutoff plate. Four or five taps relatively gentle taps should be sufficient, and ALWAYS use the SAME NUMBER of taps. If you tap this load four times, tap the next one the same! Then swing the cutoff plate into position, cutting off the few excess powder grains. Then pour the powder down your CLEAN, DRY bore and load the bullet.

Keep yore powder dry!!

bigbulls 10-25-2002 05:35 PM

Adding to that, black powder and all of the equivalents are measured by volume and not by weight like smokeless powder. If you don't have a powder measurer made for black powder get one and do not ever use a scale.

eldeguello 10-26-2002 07:26 AM

Right! Get a measure that is adjustable from 0 to 120 grains, in 10-grain increments, that has a swinging cutoff plate. As bigbulls says, measure your powder by volume, and don't worry about how much it weighs. The reason for this is that all substitute powders are made to be measured by volume, and may have a considerably different weight than an equal volume of black powder. For example, 100 grains (volume) of Pyrodex RS weights around 80 grains, and 100 grains (volume) of Black Powder weighs around 100 grains. But when fired, both these charges perform similarly as far as pressure and velocity are concerned.

Keep yore powder dry!!

blacknight_50cal. 11-02-2002 10:48 PM

go by u a measure to measure ur powder

AJ52 11-03-2002 09:34 AM

Couple years ago I stumbled on some "Tradition" speed loaders.They are clear with powder increments marked off in visable 10 grain increments.The newer ones have raised numbers.Pour in your powder to the disired load(marked increment).Pour in more powder as needed,tap the speed loader 3-4 times on hard surface to settle powder.Mark the powder increment(ie 100-110 gr etc)with a permanent marker.Now you can see EXACTLY what powder charge your pouring down the barrel.

I load up 3 of these.Load gun with one before go to stand with 2 back up loads in belly pouch.

1950KID 11-03-2002 08:38 PM

Read the manual that comes with your gun.