Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hollow Points Or Solids >

Hollow Points Or Solids

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hollow Points Or Solids

Old 03-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hollow Points Or Solids

I think you're right, Lee. The term "solids" is usually used to describe jacketed bullets that have no exposed lead on the front. But for the purpose of this particular question, I think the thread starter meant solid lead flat point vs hollow point.
Now that I think of it, Powerbelts may use the term, "solid" to describe their solid lead bullets to distinguish them from their HP's.
NOPE - I was wrong - just checked it out, and their only "solid" bullet is their Dangerous Game bullet which has a solid steel tip.

IM jaybe
Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jaybe

pglasgow: I agree that there may be (is probably) no "perfect bullet" for every situation. And that's why I really appreciate seeing a report like aquatech gave us. It's good to know that someone has had good performance with a 300 gr XTP mag. ahead of a 150 gr load. Sounds like it had good penetration also. This takes it out of the realm of THEORY and brings it right to where we live.
The one question I have: is there a difference between the XTP MAG and the "regular" XTP?
You know, I haven't a clue. Like you, I appreciateaquatech's report. As much as it may have seemed, i wasn't at all responding to his comments. The jacket of the XTP appears to be more than sufficient to hold it together at higher velocities of magnum charges, it just seemed to me, though I am probably wrong, that maybe a rifle bullet is better at rifle velocities, at least better ballistically. As I said, I don't know, I would just "lean" that way were I to sling them above 1900 fps.

Just throwing out 2 cents, thats all.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 03-31-2006, 08:46 PM

Phil: I only gave that information as food for thought.
I do like the XTP'S though, even if they are not a
rifle bullet. That being said, I agree that maybe one
mans "perfect killing projectile" may be another mans
"nightmare" that won't even print on paper. I guess
I'm just old school but I do like to throw a big rock
at whatever I'm hunting. I understand terminal
velocity, hydro-shock FPS, and I like to try different
theory's. We never know what our limits are, if we
don't try. Being a Viet Nam vet I've seen what several
different projectiles will do to different things, water
buffalo, the human body, coconuts, spyder monkeys.
As far as pushing the limits with powder charges, I
will not I just like the 100gr. charge but it was nice
to have a fellow hunter & friend, relate that the
bullet/powder combination I shoot will take the 150gr.
charge. Good shooting & God Bless........Danny
Old 04-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AQUATECH

rifle bullet.
Hey Danny,

I honestly don't see anything wrong with XTP's with magnum charges, even if though arebeingpropelled atrifle velocities. The terminal performance is going to be there, there is no doubt about that. It is likely that they will generally discharge more energy in game than a rifle bullet. So there must be situations (actually most real life hunting situations of range less than 100 yards), like your friends, where an xtp would be preferable over a rifle bullet.

My leanings were only from this perspective. If I propelled a bullet at 1900+ fps, I would be looking to harvest game in the 150+yard range. In which case, I would probably select a .458 rifle bullet to do that job. It just happened that mypost followed yours and I clicked the reply in your post to enter my own post. So my post in no way expresses disagreement that an xtp is an appropriate choice of projectile at those velocities.

You make a great point in that onefirst has to find a projectile whichshootsprecisely.Even if one wanted to use a rifle bullet, but couldn't get them to print adequately, givenxtp's were printing adequately, what choice would one have, or even I have, but to choose the xtp for hunting?

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 04-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: AQUATECH

rifle bullet. That being said, I agree that maybe one
mans "perfect killing projectile" may be another mans
"nightmare" that won't even print on paper. I guess
I'm just old school but I do like to throw a big rock
at whatever I'm hunting. I understand terminal
velocity, hydro-shock FPS, and I like to try different
theory's. We never know what our limits are, if we
don't try. Being a Viet Nam vet I've seen what several
different projectiles will do to different things, water
buffalo, the human body, coconuts, spyder monkeys.
As far as pushing the limits with powder charges, I
will not I just like the 100gr. charge but it was nice
to have a fellow hunter & friend, relate that the
bullet/powder combination I shoot will take the 150gr.
charge. Good shooting & God Bless........Danny
i agree too. i am from old school with a lot of nice buck i got with muzzleloader over 40 years at it.when the maxi-ball .370 was allowed here in pa.a big difference was seen in getting a buck. roundballs were not right bullet for hunting with .50 cal tc hawkins.too many things you had to do to make it work right.first, you had to load hot.second, you had to make sure you had clear lane to shoot a buck.3rd, harder to load on second shot and if done wrong, ball would go off target.this is because most are 1 day hunters then and did not practice. if you practiced a lot,things were fine but you still had to know your limits.along came .370 gr maxi-ball. easy to load, real accurate,breaks brush in laural,more knock down than roundball if buck not hit in the kill zone. at 5 minutes till dark, thats a GOOD FEELING .now, on comes the POWERBELT. wow, what a bullet for the hawkins flintlock.easy to load,hollow point,you can load DOWN your gun not up to kill a buck,better accuratcy do to the bullet design and LOWER charge as you dont flinch.that last one alone will make you a much better shooter with a hawkins flintlock.my hawkins .50 cal with 80 grs of 2f with powerbelt .295/348 is like shooting a 22 cal to me.thats secret.that hollow point does not need high velocity to open up.most shots i take are UNDER 80 YARDS on the buck here in pa.i dont own in-line but if you are loading hot charges to try to get bullet to shoot 150 yards etc, i would NOT use a hollow point bullet on deer.if i diid i would use the heaviest bullet in powerbelt i could get so it does not go into pieces.my favorite in a hawkins flintlock is 295/348 powerbelt. what a bullet .
Old 04-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess its what ever works for you, I took my two bucks this year with a 230 gr. XTP in front of 150 gr stick form APP with my 26 inch barrel System One both were hit broadside both at real close to 30 yds took the top off both of their hearts one ran 30 yds the other dropped like the rug had been jerked out from under him. Wanted the bullets and tried to figure where they hit after exiting but did not have any luck. Proably keep right on using that load in the System One it holds 1.5 if no wind @100yd, just too bad the Omega don't like it. Just in case some one is interested my old Chrony says 2250 for the load but since I have a favorite spot to hit and they pass through I can't tell much about what they look like. Lee
Old 04-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, there is a difference between reg. STPs & STP Mags. I have loaded 300 gr XTPs for my 44 mag for a long time. They are good bullets but they are designed to operate at 1800 fps or less. I tried shooting them into wet newspaper, at 1400 fps, and the jacket came off and thebullet broke up somewhat. I fired a Gold Dot ,270 gr, and the GD definately held upbetter than the HTP (they are bonded and have the hollow cavity filled with lead producing a flat point).

The XTP Mags are supposed to hold up more like a bonded bullet--- I havet't tried them but it sounds like they worked very well on that hog.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well correct me if I am wrong but in order have a rule of thumb we need to define some terms. Now to me a high power rifle shoots a stremlined bullet at around 3,000 fps or quite often more, a medium power rifle shoots a some what less stremline bullet some times like for a tube magazine but not always and usually shoots in 2,300 to 2750 range and beow that are the muxxle loaders pistols and rimfires in more or less that order.
We chronographed a friend of mines Kentucky rifle at 2200 with a round ball before we ever heard of inlines or black powder substitutes so shooting over 2,000 is nothing new its just that nobody used to make a big deal out of it. Lee