Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Scout Conical loads >

T/C Scout Conical loads

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Scout Conical loads

Old 03-18-2006, 09:05 PM

Default T/C Scout Conical loads

Well I'm working up a conical load for my scout 50cal. with a 1:38 barrel.
The last time I hunted with it here in Oregon we could use jacketed bullets and sabots , now only ball and lead conicals can be used.
Any suggestions would be helpfull.
I tried a 260 grain Lee REAL bullet in front of 100grains of pirodex select and also used a felt wad between the bullet and powder. Heres the target shot at 75yards with open sights.
As for the felt wad that was a friends suggestion , Does anyone have thoughts on that ?

Old 03-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T/C Scout Conical loads

have you considered a 370 grain maxiball? I have good luck with them normally out of the faster twist barrels and the 1-48 twist barrels for that matter. Another idea would be the Great Plains Conicals.

Nice shooting by the way!!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another alternative is the 270 gr Buffalo Ballet HPs. You can purchase them here.

http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/buffalo.htm#ballet
Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

my buddy use to shoot the maxi hunters in his scout. i had the mould so he was never shy about asking me for some. for whatever reason they shot better in his gun than maxi balls .
Old 03-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

That is interesting LO most people have better luck shooting the maxiballs.

Ozone, that is some good shooting for open sights. (Hats off to ya) I am wondering if you plan on bringing Pyrodex into the field? I Had to use it for years before I found a good supply of real bp and got over the Pyrodex hype.

Even the good folks at T/C will tell you that bp is better it has a lower ignition temp and fouling is no worse. (It does stink more when cleaning though)

I have never shot my Scouts with open sights but look forward to it after seeing your target. I have yet to shoot the new .54. I was going to last weekend but had so much fun with my flinter I put it off for another day.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Looks to me like you've got a keeper there, no matter what else you find that works. Good shooting!

IM jaybe
Old 03-19-2006, 08:05 PM

Pittsburghunter, In the past Pyrodex was what we used. To tell you the truth the powder I was using has been in my reloading bench for at least 10 years. I've been told that there is a new powder by the name of Tripple 7 and that it cleans up really good. I've been bow hunting (big game) for the last 8 years , so I'm a little behind on whats avalible now for smoke poles.
Whats the word on this new powder tripple 7 ?
I've got some 370gn maxi-ball that I'm going to try next. I'll also try the 270 Buffalo bullets that Triple Se7en mentioned.
As for the open sights , thats all they will let us use in Oregon. I should say though , I shot that from the prone position and I fire thousands of rounds a year through many different weapon systems confiqurations and at ranges to a 1000yrds. I just hope my eyes will hold out for a few more years as the open sights are getting a little fuzzy. I'm spoiled with tactical systems and milldots
Old 03-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

My CVA Greywolf likes Great Plains HB HP 385gr in its 1-32 barrel.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those Scout and Grey Wolfs do not have the newer shallow grooves being put out today in fast twist rifles. I could never get 100 yard groups using the Great Plains 385s in my Omega at 100 yards. I could getgroups likeat around 70 yards tops -- then they began to spread.

I always preferred to shoot conicals in my Omega, but finding a sub-400 gr. bullet for it that prints nice targetsat 125-150 yards has cost me a pile of money - testing 11 different conicals along the way. My best groups were with the270 gr. Ballet HPs. But if I'm going to use a sub-300 gr. bullet, I'll stick to a sabot that I can use out to 175 yards.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

txrookie.. that is some good shooting there.

I think or shouldI say hope, I will see those kind of results with my CVA Stalker when it comes back from the trigger job. I also expect excellent conical results from the White rifle that should be here today or tomorrow. I really like throwing large chunks of lead. And actually from my hunting experince, I have seen what a large conical does to deer when it connects. I seldom have to track too far or have a hard time tracking...

Like Triple Se7en I have been playing with a number of conicals in my Knights, CVA, and Black Diamond. Some work good, and some you could not believe could shoot that bad.... I guess it is all trial and errorl Ball-et in the 270 class now, in the Knights shoot excellent for some reason. I personally think if pushed hard enough, that would be an excellent projectile.

Quick Reply: T/C Scout Conical loads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.