Yes, I got an urge and bought another rifle. This time it is one of the rifles I have always wanted so maybe this will end my collection foolishness. It is a White Ultra Magnum M97. It has a 26 Stainless Steel Barrel,..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I done it again... >

I done it again...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I done it again...

Old 03-21-2006, 05:27 PM

Default RE: I done it again...

LOOKS REAL SHARP
460 grain No Excuse Conicals WHAT A GROUP
Old 03-22-2006, 02:19 PM

Nice rifle, i love that color of laminate. Congrats again

Old 03-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I took the opportunity to shoot the rifle again today. I wanted to see if adding wads would make a difference in the groups. I also wanted to try about five different powders. I only shot the 460 grain No Excuse Conicals. Actually I shot off almost a whole box of them. I used RWS 1075 caps until I used up all of them and then switched over to CCI Magnums (good thing I bought a couple tins of them the other day).

All I discovered is wads did not improve the groups, in fact the opposite. It could be the homemade wads I use, so I will purchase some in the future and see if they make a difference.

Of all the powders I tried, I found Goex 3f to be the best. As for a group, it was the same as yesterday. Just a ragged hole at the 30 yard line. I am really looking forward to shooting the rifle at some longer distances. But 90 grains of Goex 3f and that 460 grain No Excuse would be deadly to almost anything I wanted to hunt. I am not sure about how far I can shoot with the open sights yet, but time will tell.

The thing with this rifle is you do not have to swab the barrel when shooting conicals. Maybe the next trip out, I will try some sabots and see how they shoot...
Old 03-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Spike

Dave,
In that White .504 bore most sabots are going to be a little loose, but a black Harvester crush rib sabot and a Hornaday #4500 .458 300 gr. fit about right.
Darrel
Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

OK.. thanks I will try that. I have some .457 that I cast 405 grains heavy and some .452 crushed ribs... Should be interesting.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:57 AM

Cayugad - Man, nice gun. A few of questions:

- judging from the pic you posted, looks like a left-handed gun. Is it?

- if the bore is .504, aren't the conicals loading loose? Are you using the same conicals that you would use in all of your other 50 cal firearms?

- what's the twist?

- how much are you asking for it?! Just kiddin; I recall reading your thoughts in previous posts regarding selling firearms ("blasphemy" was the word I think you used).

Again, looks like you have a real shooter on your hands...and a good looking one at that.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am now told the Sportsman's Warehouse in St. Cloud, MN. has several of these rifles remaining in inventory (both laminated and synthetic stocks).
phone 320-656-0500 and ask for the hunting department.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter John

Cayugad - Man, nice gun. A few of questions:

- judging from the pic you posted, looks like a left-handed gun. Is it?

- if the bore is .504, aren't the conicals loading loose? Are you using the same conicals that you would use in all of your other 50 cal firearms?

- what's the twist?

- how much are you asking for it?! Just kiddin; I recall reading your thoughts in previous posts regarding selling firearms ("blasphemy" was the word I think you used).

Again, looks like you have a real shooter on your hands...and a good looking one at that.
Well the cocking lever is indeed on the other side. Why White Rifle designers put it there is hard to say. Perhaps so one could cock it with the off hand and also release the secondary safety while maintaining trigger control. Hard to say. It does take some getting used to. I keep reaching for the other side.

The conicals are indeed a loose fit. You push them under the muzzle with your thumb and then drive them down with the ramrod. They do not seem to move back out. Especially after the barrel gets fowled. So far I have been shooting the .503 diameter No Excuse Conicals out of it. I was looking for some R.E.A.L. conicals but maybe gave them away or shot them up. I guess I have to cast some more.

It is a .504 diameter barrel. Why white made each of their barrels that diameter is again a design question I am not qualified to answer. Although some of the other .50 caliber rifles we deal with can run from .498 - .503 is my understanding. The barrel has a 1-24 twist. Just a little faster then the other inlines out there.

The 26" barrel really makes this a well balanced rifle. It is on a White M 97 laminate stock. No idea who makes the stock but it is a beautiful fit and very well designed. The rifle has two locking lugs, and the front lug is a large square lug that really puts the rifle into the stock.

They were made I believe especially for the Sportsman's Warehouse franchise. You would have to ask Underclocked more about that. The store was selling them a while back for $399.00 but dropped the price to $299.00 which was finally what I was willing to pay for a White rifle. The rest I guess is history.

So far this is one conical shooting beast. You load and shoot, never swab, just keep shooting. Mine really seems to like the faster powders like Goex 3f, Swiss 3f and Triple Se7en but the best accuracy is still with Goex 3f.

Once all this snow melts, I will be able to get some distance and see what this rifle is able to do. I have considered mounting Warne QR base and rings with a good scope, but am just getting used to the rifle so far. Oh.. it cleans like a dream with stainless steel everything.. Real nice rifle.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:59 AM

Cayugad - Wanted to offer a little tip that improved my Encore's ability to throw a conical SIGNIFICANTLY. I bought a bag of 500 .28 gauge Claybuster pink wads (think I paid $7.99) and cut off all the petals to create a flat "base" that the conical sits on top of. I merely push this homemade base down the barrel after dumping in the powder and then seat the conical on top of it.

If I wasn't at work, I'd post a pic of my homemade conical wads.[:-] I retrieved several of the wads after firing and was very impressed how they obturated into my Encore's rifling. I suspect this eliminated any gas blow-by problems that commonly create poor conical groups.

To give you a sense how much of a difference it made, my conical groups went from about 12 inches at 50 yards (that's with a couple of bore buttons) to about 2 1/2 inches (with the .28 gauge wad)! Not that a 2 1/2 group is something to rave about, but with a little more experimenting, I'm confident I can improve on this.

Currently experimenting with using a .457 RB in the .28 ga shotcup, but that's another thread...

Go luck!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I've heard of others doing the same thing John. In fact I thought about trying them too, bit then most have got sidetracked and not ordered any of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.