Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Leupold QR Base and Rings for Omega?? >

Leupold QR Base and Rings for Omega??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leupold QR Base and Rings for Omega??

Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 AM

Default Leupold QR Base and Rings for Omega??

Posted on another thread about this, but have some questions about the Leupold QR bases and rings for an Omega. Sounds like a few people have these on their omega. As close as the screw holes are together for the bases on the Omega, it seems like the Leupold QR 2 piece bases (or any two piece base) would beso close togetherthat it seems their is barely enough room for the ringsto sit on opposite side of the elvatation/windage adjustment part of the scope.

I am looking to put a 2-7x-32mm Leupold VX1 with Leupold QR bases and MEDIUM rings on the Omega, but I don't want to remove the fiber optic sight. Does anyone specifically have medium rings and Leup QR bases with a Leupold 2-7x-32mm size scope or any 2-7x that is around 11 inches long. And if you do, were you able to install the scope with the medium rings and not have to remove the rear sight. Any info would be helpful. Don't feel like ordering the scope and bases/rings and having to return them.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Leupold QR Base and Rings for Omega??

I have a Leupold VX II 2x7 mounted in QR rings on my Omega.It sits in low rings,you don't need Med. rings unless you prefer to shoot with your head higher.Didn't have to remove the rear sights.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:16 PM

Good to know, thanks. I just assumed I would need the medium rings so I wouldn't see a good amount of the rear sight through the scope. With therings,you can't see any of the sight in your sight picture? Can you tell me how far from the rear fiber optic sight is the front of your scope?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

I'll have to check,I did remove mine after the fact because I went on an elk hunt in Co. No scope so I pulled the ramp sight and scope base and used a Williams peep sight.When I returned after the trip I removed the peep and put the scope base back on but left the ramp sight of as I never used it.I do have aQR base and low QR rings waiting to install on my buddy's Omega when he comes in from Pa. he plans on leaving his ramp sight on.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info. From just checking turns out that they sell only the one piece mounts for the Omega. I was wondering how a two piece base would work given how close the screw holes for the bases are on the omega. If I went with a weaver style base and the Warne QR rings, wouldn't I haveflexibility as far as moving the rings up or back on the base, which I am guessing can come in handy from time to time. I prefer the Leupold style better as far as it locking down in the base rather than the ring, but it seems like a little more flexibility with the Warne QR weaver style.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:24 PM

I think when you see the one piece mount you
will like it. It is very strong, and it will stand-up
to the recoil of your ML very well. I just mounted
a Bushnell Trophy red dot on my Omega using the
one piece and I love it sits nice & low no need
to remove anything. It is very thick where I deer
hunt I just don't need a lot of mag, but the red
dot is nice relief for my old eyes.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the one piece mount and low rings and I had to remove the rear sight. You are right. Even with the one piece mount the scope sits way forward of the forward ring I was wondering about the stibility myself with that much scope unattached but so far so good for me. Mike
Old 03-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Not having any experience with the Omega, but whether you would remove the rear sight.. wouldn't that depend a lot on the scope you select because of length, and also the high of the mounts? I am interested in quick release rings also but might go with the Warne. I want to put them on the new rifle, the White, and definately want to leave the sights on the rifle as scopes are not legal during our muzzleloading season, but since I hunt all seasons with the black powder rifles, I would use the scope during the modern seasons.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

I mounted a 3x9x40 Bushnell on my Omega with low bases and had to remove the sights.No problem here,I do not shoot well with open sights anyway.Old eyes.

Charlie
Old 03-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Spike

I put a scope on my Omega recently with the aluminum T/C one piece base and I opted for the cabelas QR rings ($50) vs the leupold soley on price. I can't find them online but I live 20 minutes from a Cabela's store (dangerous). I'm from MN originally and scopes aren't legal in that state during muzzleloading (yet!). Anyway, I put a Nikon Prostaff (2-7) on the gun and I've been happy with the results so far. Cabela's also sells T/C Maxima QR rings ($68) which looked identical to the cablelas version with minor differences in the knobs for tightening. All of these attach to weaver style bases. I believe they were medium height rings but I am not 100% positive on that. I've included a photo to give you an idea of how much clearance the scope has behind the sights.

I won't pretend that these are as stable as non-quick release but they do offer versatility for those of us with legal limitations. I will add that I personally feel leupold is superior in quality...but that's only opinion. I've never used their QR products.

gopherfan

Quick Reply: Leupold QR Base and Rings for Omega??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.