Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leupold QR Base and Rings for Omega??

Old 03-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leupold QR Base and Rings for Omega??

The only disadvantages I see to the Leupold QR systemare: the bulk of the cost is in the bases while the rings are reasonable. If you sell the rifle and do not buy another just like it - your expensive bases are now worthless to you. With the Warnes and similar QD systems, the cost is in the rings and they can move from rifle to rifle with only the replacement of less expensive bases required.

The bases also offer only one position for the front and rear rings. On some rifles, with some scopes, and for some shooters that base positioning can be a real problem. The Warne bases often allow multiple positions for the cross-slots and there are any number of bases from other manufacturers that will also work.

I use both systems and have found both to be excellent. I do not like the Leupold QRW (also made by Warne) system even though they do return to zero. The rings themselves are split such that it is hard to avoid scratching up scope tubes.

On all such QD/QR rings - be careful not to apply too much pressure to the locking levers. Defining too much pressure is sort of subjective, but just snug themwith your thumb - that will do it. Don't feel like you need to really crank them down further - they'll break.

One of the best places pricewiseto buy Warne QDs is at http://www.ultout.com/

Forgot to add that Millett is about to add their version of quick detachable rings called "The GRABBER". They look good to me and I've generally been happy with Millett products. http://www.millettsights.com/online/pages/p2.php
Old 03-17-2006, 10:47 AM

Default RE: Leupold QR Base and Rings for Omega??

I just installed Leupold QR rings on my Nikon Scope for my Omega, I like the way they installed and ease of removal of the scope. Its nice that the locking levers are spring loaded and you can position them. I have mine set to face the rear of the gun so that if I am walking through any brush or weeds the tall stuffwill not get caught in the levers.

Unfortunatly, or fortunately as your perspective goes,that means I have to go sight in my gun again...aw shucks another reason to go kill some paper.