Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Old Omega

Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Old Omega

The seller described it as being used, but in excellent condition. It doesn't seem it was ever fired. The packing grease in the barrel was hardened, and kinda difficult to remove. The breech plug surprised me, because it had a flat face without a chamber for the powder; i had never seen one like it. The firing pin is in the old style block The paint on the ram rod was without scratches. Yesterday a 2x - 7x scope was mounted, and the breech plug, and ramrod replaced, with used versions. After a few shots the rifle was about sighted in.

This morning, shooting commenced with a clean cold barrel; target was at 100 yard. The load was 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, 300g XTP, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The first four shots made 4 holes some left. The fifth shot didn't leave a hole. So i assumed it went close to one of the first four holes; that was OK i figured--kinda neat actually. The sixth shot didn't leave a hole; i panicked, and was much disappointed. Ever once in a while one sees two shots in the same hole, but i knew it couldn't happen twice in a row; i walked out to the target, and still couldn't see the last two shots; i figured something was haywire.

The target was photographed, then taped, and i walked back to the rifle with dread; knowing something was not good. Then three shots were made at the taped target; what a pleasant surprise. All three shots made holes in the tape.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Consistency is a wonderful thing, ain't it?
Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

great shooting
Old 04-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that is great, especially from a new rifle, and clean cold barrel! Although, you seem to have them Omega's down pat.

I think you have a winner Ron. Being its probably older, does it have the QLA?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pitted Old Omega

This morning the rifle shot good once again; nothing changed.

After cleaning it, i looked down the barrel accidentally with cheaters, and saw 'something'. Previously i had always looked down the barrel without cheaters, and the barrel looked bright, and shiny. Curiosity had me put a camera in the barrel. The first photo was taken near the muzzle.

The photo led me to scrubbing the barrel with JB bore cleaner, and then another photo.

Next two photo near the center of the barrel, before, and after scrubbing with JB.

Last photo of a Dream Season barrel, which was purchased new.

Seems i should have titled this thread New Old Pitted Old Omega.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
....... Being its probably older, does it have the QLA?
Yes it does. Tomorrow i will try the Bor-Lock bullets and see how they shoot, unless it is snowing too hard.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

This morning the plan was to practice off hand shooting using B.O.R. Lock 270 grain bullets.

One can almost see the target near the center of the photo. The snow made me lose interest in standing out; getting wet, and cold. Instead, i shot from inside the truck. Managed to park the truck 95 yard out, and shot with one elbow on the steering wheel, the other on the arm rest. Load was 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, W209 primer.

Seven shots made a shotgun pattern. Switched to Parker 275 grain bullet. Made no scope adjustments, then took three more shots; called it quits. Load was the Parker bullet, 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 04-25-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron I wouldn't argue with the groups from either the Parker 275s or the 300 XTPs. Both bullets shot great. What does concern me though is the inside of the bore. Those rough spots almost look like a flaw in the metal and not corrosion. It looks like it got worse after the JB scrub like you opened up something in the metal.
This can occur during the forging process (flakes) because of improper cooling. I say this because the rest of the bore looks pristine.
It would be interesting to see what T/C would say about this.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't change a thing if all my groups looked like that last target !!!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I wouldn't change a thing if all my groups looked like that last target !!!
I agree Sheridan. But I also like to lean on the side of caution. And if those areas in the bore are due to forging defects then the barrel could be flawed and be dangerous. You don't know what else is lying below the surface. I would really want it checked out. Yes the accuracy is fantastic but is it worth the risk of a barrel rupture?
I'm only saying this because Ron stated that the rifle looked unfired. If that were the case then there shouldn't be any corrosion in the bore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.