Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Diamond: Tightening Action Screws >

Black Diamond: Tightening Action Screws

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Diamond: Tightening Action Screws

Old 02-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Spike

Default Black Diamond: Tightening Action Screws

I remove my barrel and action from the stock for cleaning on both my Black Diamond and my System 1s. This, of course, involves removing and then replacing the twoaction screws. The Black Diamond is scoped, one System 1 has a peep sight, the other is open sighted.I'm wondering whether anyone has determined what the best tightening sequence and screw torque is for these rifles.

I've always been suspicious that the manner in which I tighten the screws affects the POI and possibly the overall accuracy of the rifle. I know my centerfire rifles are sensitive to how the action screws are tightened. Point of Impact and group sizeoften depend on the order in which the screws were tightened and how tight they are; even on rifles with fully floated barrels.

I figure the scope sighted Black Diamond is probably most sensitive to action screw tightening as it has the potential of slightly deforming/bending the structure to which the scope bases are attached. The open sighted System 1 is probably the least affected as both sights are attached to the free floated barrel.

The last thing anyone would want prior to hunting season is to get the gun all zeroed in and then, in the process of cleaning, change the POI by improper action screw tightening.

What action screw tightening techniques have you folks found most successful with these guns?Do the Knight, Remington and Ruger in-lines have action screw similar to the BD and Sys 1?
Thanks.
Bob

Old 02-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Default RE: Black Diamond: Tightening Action Screws

Neither of my Black Diamonds are as sensitive to action screw tension as was my Knight Disc rifle. Both guns are generously free floated and bedded with JB Weld; and I tighten the action screws down to 35-40 inch pounds. Haven't noticed any appreciable change in POI in between cleanings.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

My Black Diamond XR is the same as Roskoe's. Not overly sensative at all and it is a scoped rifle also. I take the barrel out each time I clean it. When replacing the barrel I put both screws in place with light finger pressure. Then I give then each 3/4 a turn just to snug them down. The barrel is free floating and shoots excellent 99% of the time. The other 1% I know who is at fault and we don't want to talk about it...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 5 TC's including a System One none are extremly senitive to the action screws on the other hand I do have a cartrdige gun that is.
The cardinal rule is do it the same the best way would be to torque them but most of us don't bother,I tighten them finger tight and then give them 1/2 turn. Lee