Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How many of you do this? >

How many of you do this?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How many of you do this?

Old 10-22-2002, 02:32 PM

Default How many of you do this?

Well, Muzzleloader is here. I've hunted twice now in the evenings and have seen 3 buck, and 3 doe. To dark to get a shot at the doe though. So when it came time to leave, as we all know, there is only one way to unload a muzzleloader. Shoot it. Well i'm tired of cleaning it when I know i'm going out again in a day or 2 and It's a waste of powder and bullets. So I talked to someone who said, just leave it loaded, clean the flash pan of any powder, leave hammer down and the steel frizzen, up. Store in a safe place. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this. I'd prefer to be able to do this but i dont' know how safe it would be. And will it still shoot as consistently as well as if i had just loaded it.
Thank's and good luck this season

"Kill it and Grill it"
Old 10-22-2002, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How many of you do this?

My friend does store his outside, in a building where the room is the same temp as outside all the time. He claims that the barrel will not condense and ruin the powder charge. He also stores it barrel end down, just in case. The next time he hunts, he puts a new cap on and he claims he has had not problem with misfires. I am not so trusting. I simply discharge the load and clean the rifle, then I start fresh the next time I hunt. I figure with the snow and rain, and all the moisture in the air when I hunt a lot of times, there is always that chance that the charge in the gun was effected. At the end of the day I like to hear the boom when it goes off, just to boost my confidence in the next time I load it and hunt with it....
Old 10-22-2002, 06:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2002, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do this if the rifle has not been fired. I leave an unprimed, loaded rifle in a hard gun case in the garage or barn, where transporting such a loaded rifle is legal. In some jurisdictions, it is not legal, but in NY, an "unprimed" rifle is considered unloaded. In a flintlock, I put a round toothpick in the touchhole to seal it also. An alternative is to use a ball screw on your ramrod to "draw" the bullet, then dump the powder. But, I have found that once compressed, Pyrodex is difficult to get out. It doesn't just drop out. You have to use a worm or ball screw to loosen it so it'll come out.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:22 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2002, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Only time I will remove the charge is when it is wet outside. I have never experienced any problems with firing or POI by doing this practice.

Our Regs stipulate "a ML is only considered loaded when "primed" and can be stored and transport with a charge, provided the nipple is free and clear".

Old 10-23-2002, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was always under the impresion that black powder was very corosive(spelling) and that it would damage the barrel if left in over night. I always fire mine and just cleaned it and load it the next time i go out. I spend to much money and fight with my old lady to much to have a nice buck walk up on me and my gun not go off!!!!!

Old 10-23-2002, 08:23 PM

From what I've heard from other people, and read, the black powder will only corrode after being fired. The left over carbon and residue from being fired is what makes the barrel rust. The only thing I'm worried about is the gun not firing. But I guess i'll find out when I got to pull the trigger. Live and learn.
"Kill it and Grill it"
Old 10-23-2002, 09:08 PM

Let me ask you this. What do you think the old mountain men did? Did they discharge it for overnite? NO. Well those who did did not live long with their scalps.

Sooner

"Size isn't important, but it HELPS!!!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.