HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Any info on Precision Rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/133737-any-info-precision-rifle.html)

wernerjd 02-20-2006 02:42 PM

Any info on Precision Rifle

What do you know about the Precision Rifle Bullets? Is there any positive or negatives.

cayugad 02-20-2006 02:55 PM

RE: Any info on Precision Rifle

I have shot them in my Black Diamond XR they were a 300 grain Silver Lightning and they shot excellent. I had a chance to shoot two of the QT's with a blue sabot a friend had. At 50 yards the holes touched. So I guess they shoot well too.

I have heard some of his claims are over rated but I have no proof of that.

Roger46982 02-20-2006 03:02 PM

I shoot them in everything I own, love em. Deadcenter 240's my favorite on top of 100 grs. 777

sabotloader 02-20-2006 03:06 PM

wernerjd

I have a few of Cecil's bullets and have shoot a few of them... If you are in a state that requires an all lead projectile, but will allow you to use sabots - PR is your best bet.

Other than that I , and I can only speak for me, I think his bullets are overrated, his BC's are misleading - not incorrect - but not totally correct, and the pricesare inflated for the projectile you are getting.

lemoyne 02-20-2006 03:51 PM

I tried the DC's in my new Omega the 220gr 40cal with the 50/40 sabot.
They are very soft pure lead I believe and deform at the least excuse.I tried them with a range of loads and APP they shot 1.5 inch up to 110 gr then started to spread out.I have always had the problem that pure lead don't seem to shoot good for me at more than 110 or 120 gr of powder. Lee

Triple Se7en 02-20-2006 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: wernerjd

What do you know about the Precision Rifle Bullets? Is there any positive or negatives.
What bullet nameinterests you - in what grain size?
How many do you plan on purchasing?
What ML are they intended for?
Are you seeking Precision conicals or sbot/bullets?
What powder are you using- approximently how many grains would you like to use?

goarmy 02-20-2006 07:48 PM

Their isn't a bullet manufacturer out there who hasn't made a "subjective claim" regarding their products.

Cecil does make good stuff, but yeah, he is was a bit over priced. If you check his website now, he has revisted his pricing.

PR Bullets ballistic coeffient claims: VERY SUBJECTIVE, bordering the integrity of The National Enquirer. BC's are dynamic, not a static, fixed valueas advertised by PR bullet. That is they change, The BC of a bullet depend on the velocity it is traveling at that particular point in time, is it stable in flight, yadda, yadda, yadda., am I boring you yet?

I stay away from the Polymer Tipped stuff. Swaged lead is soft, and that "uber point" will deform if you are not especially careful. Guess what - that will ALSO affect the BC (who knew!). Oh yeah, there kinda expen$ive.

Personally, I favor his Extreme Elites and won't shoot anything but. For no other reason than the group well, and they filled my freezer.

Take care