Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Yea's and nays

Old 02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Yea's and nays

Any comments on a Austin & Halleck320 rifle?
Blued barrel 50cal.with syn stock.

Al
Old 02-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Yea's and nays

I don't remember reading too many negative posts about them. They are kind of pricy IMO, and since there are excellent deals on Knight rifles right now I think I would look in that direction. Although if the rifle appeals to you, then that is also important. I did read some where a long time ago they are a little more heavy then other rifles. Whether that's still true I could not say.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

alleyyooper

I have one and I shoot the heck out of it. One thing that i would let you know - the receiver is huge - long - therefore the overall length of the gun is is extended. The barrel is a Spanish extruded barrel, but i have absolutely zero problems with that. Mine is a great shooter. As you push a tight sabot down the barrel you will probably encounter tight and loose spots... this is common with an extruded barrel, but in my case has no real effect on accuracy. It really absorbs recoil, they are smooth shooters. They will feel heavy besides being long and I think this is due to the fact they are not balanced as well as your Remington.

While it is a good rifle a really good rifle, if I am going hunting I am 9 out of 10 times going to reach for a Remington. If you are considering a A&H there are 2 different ones out there. One of them was made in Weston, MO. and the newer ones are being built in Provo, UT. I really do not know if one is any better than the other.

I have hunted with it and I will continue to hunt with at times especially when I think that a long down range might really be in order. And of course I will target shoot with it all day. Another the service from Provo is outstanding, they work hard to make allowners happy.

Check out this list of Knights that UC sent out the other day....

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/documents/knightrifles.htm

keep the bees buzzing

Old 02-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

I looked at a used A&H at Gander MT last week.Nice looking rifle,but heavy. I like my Omega for weight,and since I added a Sims recoil pad it likes me too. I just do not feel like lugging that much weight around.

Charlie
Old 02-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

Any comments on a Austin & Halleck320 rifle?
Blued barrel 50cal.with syn stock.

Al
For someone like me that hunts the thickest & swamps..... it's....
Too long
Too heavy

Also! Because of it's Spanish barrel, the only one that would interest me isthe model with fancy wood stock & stainless barrel.

But guess what?.... we cannot buy it in that combination.It only comes stainless with synthetic stocks -- only comes blued or nickel with the wood stock.

If the gun is used & built in Weston, I would be leery of it's action quality - action problems.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

I couldn't find any stainless on the A&H site - is it so new they do not have it listed? Everything there is S/N...

Old 02-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Triple Se7en

I couldn't find any stainless on the A&H site - is it so new they do not have it listed? Everything there is S/N...

D & R sells it Mike. When you reach ths site, click on Austin-Halleck.

https://www.dnrsports.net/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DSC&Cat egory_Code=mzguns
Old 02-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

Thanks T7 - I have never seen these before. I am going to call A&H in the morning, talk to Ray,and see if I can find some additional information on these.

If I could sell one of my Nickel A&H's I just might make up the difference and get one of these stainless jobs.