Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Scout Rate of twist ? >

T/C Scout Rate of twist ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Scout Rate of twist ?

Old 02-18-2006, 09:49 PM

Default T/C Scout Rate of twist ?

I have read or heard several different twist rates for the T/C Scout 1:20 , 1:32, 1:38 , 1:48. Can anyone give me the real story or has there really been all of these twists used on these rifles at on time or another durring their production. Some one told me that the early guns had the 1:20 rate and as time went on the rates progressed slower with the last guns made having the 1:48.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: T/C Scout Rate of twist ?

OzoneRanger,
I don't know the history of the T/C Scout's rate of twist, but mine has the 1-20" twist. I know it was alsooffered in 1-48" twist, but I never heard of it in the 1-32 or 1-38 on the Scout.
In fact I don't remember T/C ever using a 1-32", so I think you can rule that one out.

When Pittsburghunter reads your post, he might know.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: OzoneRanger

I have read or heard several different twist rates for the T/C Scout 1:20 , 1:32, 1:38 , 1:48. Can anyone give me the real story or has there really been all of these twists used on these rifles at on time or another durring their production. Some one told me that the early guns had the 1:20 rate and as time went on the rates progressed slower with the last guns made having the 1:48.
TC's catalog list the Scout with a 21" barrel as follows:

.50cal = 1:38" twist
.54cal= 1:20" twist
Old 02-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Spike

I don't have any direct knowledge, Ozone, but have been researching the Scout carbine as I was interested in one being offered on Gunbroker.

The seller listed the .50 carbine has having the 1-in-20" twist. This agrees with what Sam Fadala listed as the twist of a .50 carbine he tested in his first Blackpowder Loading Manual. This is the same twist he shows as being used in the .50 White Mountain Carbine.

InS. Fadala'stesting and in the case of forum comments from Scout owners, the fast twist .50 carbine is supposed to beextremely accurate with conicals; but my informationis all second hand.

For some reason, T/C seemed to favor a very fast twist with their carbine length barrels and got good results from them. Why this wasn't carried into the longer rifle barrels is a mystery to me.
FWIW
Bob
Old 02-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Spike

I bought my T.C. Scout so long ago that I don't remember how old it is but my manual says the rate of twist formy 50 caliberis 1:38.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

roundball,
You are absolutely 100% correct with the 1-38" & 1-20" twist on the T/C Scout. I found an old T/C Catolog #21 that had it listed as such.
Now I'm wondering if there were older versions that had the 1-48" twist too. I don't have enough older catolog's to check.....maybe it never had the 1-48" twist and it's just in my head?
It's got me scratching my old noggin now
Old 02-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

The first were 20 twist I know they made some we couldn't buy out east with Half octagon barrels I do not know what the tist was. I know the after fire guns had plastic stocks and 38 twist they didn't look as nice. The receiver also had case hardening that didn't look as good as the old blued ones.

I have seen one of the half octagon ones at a gun show they looked pretty sweet the barrel was a bit longer I think as well.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Encoreman
Sounds like we can rule out the 1:32 and there seems to be an agreement on 1:20 for the 54cal. But with the 50cal. most state 1:38 , although Short start mentions a puplication showing 1:20 for the 50cal. That may have been an error. As far as the 1:48 go's there is still room for question , but no one mentioned it showing up in any text.
I would say this is the best informed group that I have but this question to.
Thanks for the help , you guys are great!!
Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

OzoneRanger,
My Scout is a .50cal. w/1-20" twist. It is blue'd with the Rynite stock.
The 1-32" twist barrels that I've seen have been from CVA and Traditions....there could be other's too, but that's all I know of without researching it.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Boy I must correct myself on something I said. I was just down at the local gunshop that I bought the T/C Express from and they have an almost brand new looking Scout .54 with walnut stock and the case hardened receiver. The gun is beautiful and the case hardening looks like it was the original design it fits so well. Only $250 I have to think about this rifle a little bit.

Quick Reply: T/C Scout Rate of twist ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.