Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Scout Rate of twist ? >

T/C Scout Rate of twist ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Scout Rate of twist ?

Old 02-20-2006, 09:56 AM

Default RE: T/C Scout Rate of twist ?

Encoreman
Sounds like the 50cal. came with two twist rates 1:20 and 1:38. I'm wondering when the change took place or maybe they were always available in both.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:03 AM

Pttsburghhunter
Sounds like a keeper to me. These Scouts shoot as well as any lever action center fire I've had. I've watched the net for prices and thats a good price for a gun in its condition.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Spike

I called T/C about 2 weeks ago and ordered 2 new nipples for my scout and I asked the man what the twist rate is on a50 cal. scout and he told me 1-48. Don't know if all were that though?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: codsterboy

I called T/C about 2 weeks ago and ordered 2 new nipples for my scout and I asked the man what the twist rate is on a50 cal. scout and he told me 1-48. Don't know if all were that though?
codsterboy,
You made me feel a lot better about my old memory banks. I thought they were made w/1-48" at one time.

Pittsburghunter,
That Scout sounds really sweet. Post pictures when you get her home. LOL
Old 02-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Codster, my .50 has a 1:20 twist and I do not know of any Scout made that had a 48 twist but as I stated earlier they went though different distribution channels and probabally had some custom runs as well.

The best I can tell you is if you look at any good Black powder manual it lists the Scout as a 1:20 twist but again I am talking pre-fire production runs.

The .54 I saw breaks all the rules I know about Scouts. I never have seen one with the case hardened receiver and walnut Stock. Boy that thing would look great on my gun rack.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 PM

I have 2 Scouts the 54cal is a case hardened with walnut stock and its 1:20.
The other is a 50cal. also case hardened ,walnut and its 1:38.
I called friends who also have Scouts in 54cal. all three are case hrdened and walnut and all are 1:20. I have yet to find a 1:48 , if I do i'll have to buy.
I'll try to post a photo of the 50cal.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Spike

O.K. Guys. I called T/C today and gave them my serial number on my SCOUT Muzzleloader. I am the original owner but stupidly threw the paperwork away when I got it as a Christmas gift. T/C ran the serial number and said it was made between Sept and Oct. 1996. It isa 24 inch barrel,blued/synthetic stock, 50 cal., 1-48 TWIST. Don't know if this is RARE or NOT ?????
Old 02-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Ozone your rifle looks to have the blued receiver like mine but what I notice and like on yours is the nosecap. as you can see mine hasn't one and I can't remember right now if the .54 I looked at had one. If you look at the swirly multi colored steel one my sidelocks that is what case hardening looks like.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: codsterboy

O.K. Guys. I called T/C today and gave them my serial number on my SCOUT Muzzleloader. I am the original owner but stupidly threw the paperwork away when I got it as a Christmas gift. T/C ran the serial number and said it was made between Sept and Oct. 1996. It isa 24 inch barrel,blued/synthetic stock, 50 cal., 1-48 TWIST. Don't know if this is RARE or NOT ?????
You can check it very simply yourself...seat a tight fittng patch/jag combo, make the rod where it comes out ofthe muzzle, and also make an alignment mark on it...slowly with draw the rod and cound the number of revolutions the alignment marks makes by the time the jag comes out.

Measure the amount of inches that the rod was in the bore, and with the # of turns it made coming out, you can do the math to figure the twist rate...personally I'll be shocked if it's a 1:48" barrel.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Spike

Well I just went down and tried to check myself manually. With the nipple in the gun I put the ramrod down in it and marked it with a piece of tape and marked the tape with a pencil mark. When I pulled it out the pencil mark was slightly past 1/2 a turn. When I measured the tape it was 23 1/2 inches in the barrel. I never knew how to tell if I had a case hardened receiver and looked at mine again. It isn't what I would call a pure bluing, it is more like a swirled look that was mentioned before.

Quick Reply: T/C Scout Rate of twist ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.