Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 looking for a new smokepole >

looking for a new smokepole

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

looking for a new smokepole

Old 02-07-2006, 08:25 PM

Default looking for a new smokepole

Hello fellas, I owned a Traditions pursuit LT and sold it because it wasn't what I was looking for don't get me wrong it shot great and was easy to clean and well balanced but I want to get a little moretraditional(not as traditional as a flintlock) but something that uses a #11 cap doesn't have to bean inline. I would like a .50cal and I want something that 100yrds is a fairly long shot. You guys get my drift so I guess what I am asking is what are the recomendations for a brand/name etc.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: looking for a new smokepole

Since you wish to go traditional.. I would suggest a .54 caliber rifle because of the better ballistics of the roundball over a .50 caliber. If conicals and sabots are what you want to shoot a .50 caliber will work just fine.

As for the rifle, that's easy. IMO A Thompson Center Hawkins of Renegade. Go to the Auction sites and you can pick them up reasonable. I personally like the Renegades because they are a no frills type rifle, but the Hawkins are a little more understanding when shooting heavy conicals with recoil.

If the Thompson Center does not interest you then look into the Lyman Great Plains Rifle or the Lyman Trade Rifles. Both of them are well made and good shooters and will serve you well. They just do not have the customer service like Thompson Center that has spoiled most people...
Old 02-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

snowman69,
I echo Cayugads thoughts 110%
The T/C Renegadeis my favorite not only because of it's looks but it fits my fat cheeks better. The T/C Hawkens has a raised cheek piece and it's harder for me to sight down.
Actually when shooting theheavy conical loads in my T/C Hawkens it hurts my cheek. It's like getting punched in the side of the face.
The Lymans is the most authentic and they are good shooters too.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tell ya I really love my T/C White Mountin Carbine. They stopped making them for a while but they are back due to popular demand. Its nice and light and very pretty. Shoots #11 caps and shoots round balls and conicils great my choice in it is the Great Planes bullet. But I'm sure as long as your gun says T/C you will love it. thats my 2 cents. Mike
Old 02-08-2006, 02:10 PM

Mike" I am in the process of droping my t/c flinter barrel in to a PA hunter stock,it the same as the white mountain m/l,I think it would look a little more traditional then the t/c hawkens stock@ a light lighter then when it sits in the hawkens stock
Hey snowman I know someone selling a super nice Renegade in 50 cal. wears a peep sight excellent condition.I turn on sabotloader to the t/c omega he had f/s

Old 02-08-2006, 06:11 PM

i give the wmc my vote. its the best shooting sidehammer i have ever shot. a 45 cal 230gr xtp hp with 90 gr of 777.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: snowman69

Hello fellas, I owned a Traditions pursuit LT and sold it because it wasn't what I was looking for don't get me wrong it shot great and was easy to clean and well balanced but I want to get a little moretraditional(not as traditional as a flintlock) but something that uses a #11 cap doesn't have to bean inline. I would like a .50cal and I want something that 100yrds is a fairly long shot. You guys get my drift so I guess what I am asking is what are the recomendations for a brand/name etc.
Hopefully, you have the money for the Austin-Halleck Mountain Rifle. It'sa percussion that's available in 1-28" or 1-66" twist for $459. Fast Production sidelock rifles don't get any better-looking than this.

https://www.dnrsports.net/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DSC&Cat egory_Code=muzzleloadersaus

If you click on one of the rifles below, you get a blow-up view of the Mountain Rifle. Click on the Percussion Select photo.

WARNING! Drooling on your keyboard may occur.

http://www.austinhalleck.com/AH-Mountain.html
Old 02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

I am not going to click on that link!! I am NOT going to click on that link!!!

I AM NOT GOING TO CLICK ON THAT LINK!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do like I do -- put a paper towel over the keyboard keys while viewing the A & H.[:@]
Old 02-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Dominant Buck

that A&H is a mighty pretty gun. I have looked at them and at the http://www.rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

The only thing I dislike about them are the stocks are not real wood but laminated stock. Although the removable breech plugs and the Green Mountain Barrels are a nice feature as are the locks....

Quick Reply: looking for a new smokepole

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.