Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How Many of You Shoot Roundballs? >

How Many of You Shoot Roundballs?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Many of You Shoot Roundballs?

Old 02-08-2006, 03:04 PM

Default RE: How Many of You Shoot Roundballs?

Never hunted with anything else, when using muzzleloaders. from .310 for small game, to .440, .490, and .530. All work fine. never lost an animal when hit with a ball.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Sharp Shooter-I never hunted with a roundball,but have shot lots of paper.At 30 yds with 50gr of powder,it's a great load for the kids to shoot.Not much kick and accurate enough to keep the kids interested.

Charlie
Old 02-08-2006, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

How many of you all shoot roundballs? If so, what do you like about them? What caliber of roundball do you shoot? What have you killed with a roundball?
I swear I thought I already answered this question...

I use roundballs;

They're accurate, deadly, and they're thereal deal;

.440/.490/.530/.570;

Agood number of bucks and does;

Shoot them almost every weekend year round...
Old 02-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

How many of you all shoot roundballs? If so, what do you like about them? What caliber of roundball do you shoot? What have you killed with a roundball?
I shoot round balls in 375", 457"(revolvers), 445", .490", .495", .500", .526", .530", .535", .55", .570",and .735". Thus far, the only RB I've killed anything with is the home-cast .500" I use in my .50 for high-accuracy loads. It weighs 185 grains, and has a MV of 1850 FPS from 120 grains of FFg.This load will stay in 1" at 100 yards on a calm day. I have only killed deer with it, but overall, the RB is just as deadly as any ML bullet, provided you don't try to stretch the range too much and are careful where you place your shots (as you should be anyway, regardless of your bullet type.)
Old 02-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot roundballs in two rifles. With my 58 caliber 1-70" twist, I use patch & ball. In my 1-48" twistDeerhunter that I'm passing to my grandson, it sees a Harvester 45/50 black sabot with .451 revolver roundball.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I mostly shoot roundballs. My percussions, and flinters seem to shoot them more accurately, than other projectiles. I shoot .45, .50, and .54 caliber, and they like roundballs. I never really had good, consistant accuracy with lead conicals.I shoot almost every weekend, and roundballs are inexpensive. I prefer .54 caliber, for deerhunting.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Spike

Shot my first BP deer this year with a .54 PRB. It was a doe, quartering away from me at about 30 yards. Shot her behind the left front leg and got both lungs and the top of the heart. Ball went exactly where I aimed.

She hunched up and sprinted 100 yards and crashed. Was surprised how far she went with a solid hit. The ball didn't pass all the way through. The offside was badly bruised, but I never found either an exit hole or the ball. All kinds of blood got blown out the entrance hole and the snow was red for about 20 ft. to the left of her trail. Used a .535 RB patched with .018 T/C pillow ticking prelubed patch and 90gr. RS. Rifle was a .50 T/C Hawken rebarreled with a .54 Green Mountain drop-in barrel. Same load shootsvery well in my .54 GPR.

I also like to target shoot with my .50s using PRB over 30gr. Pyro P. Very accurate and economical load. Even the fast twist Black Diamond shoots that load accurately. Would probably work well for small game. Normally I shoot conicals or sabots in the .50s when hunting big game.

In my .32 and .36 I shoot nothing but PRB and light charges of Pyro P. I try to duplicate .22 rimfire ballistics and get .22 accuracy in the bargain. Deadly on squirrels.

I shoot PRB because it's easy to get consistently good accuracy. Conicals and sabots are much more finickey and unpredictable.
Bob

Old 03-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 1st deer with a ML, Renegade 54 cal. used PRB about 65 yards. When smoke cleared i didn't see anything, i walked over to area Doe had been at and she was laying right there in a small depression. Have harvested several others with same ML and a PRB! It works very well i like to keep range short not over 75 yards. If i know i will be shooting longer distance i load up a conical and adjust my sight for it.[&:]
Old 03-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have harvested about 6 bucks with .50 cal hawkins t/c back in the 70s.with rb.never shot over 50 yards here in pa.when the maxi-balls were legal here in pa. i went to them. much more knock down power and i could load my gun lighter,like 80 grs of 2f instead of 90 grs for roundball. more deer are missed because of lack of practice and recoil.the best bullet, i feel out there for deer at low velocity of our muzzleloaders,is the POWERBELT BULLETS.i like the 295/348 gr ones for my t/c hawkins .50 cal over 80/90 grs of 2f geox. i only hunt bucks, no doe as we dont have doe here in pa. anymore,so why kill off what is left. but every buck i shot over 45 years ,around 35 or so, none in last 3 years do to the lack of deer here, all went only short distance with a maxi-ball or powerbelt. roundballs should be ONLY for us that take time to practice,work up loads and dont shoot over 75 yards with them.from what i see MOST dont do this and wound or miss a lot of deer.so, i would not recommend a roundball for average once a year hunter on deer.stick with POWERBELTS, they are real nice shooting bullet.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a 54 cal renegade but i have yet to shoot it yet. i haven't had the money to buy anything for it but hopefully i will soon.

Quick Reply: How Many of You Shoot Roundballs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.