HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Omega Trigger Guard Rust (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/131055-omega-trigger-guard-rust.html)

Jackson Bowner 01-30-2006 04:38 PM

Omega Trigger Guard Rust

Anyone experience a problem with their Omega trigger guard chipping and rust coming through? I just bought a T/C Omega, SS, laminated this past summer. I took it to the range and shot maybe 15 rounds through it. Cleaned it up all nice and shiny. Took it out in December hunting. Didn't shoot that charge off until late December because I didn't see anything I wanted to unload it on andafter I did, Inoticed chipping on the overcoating with rust coming through. I have never seen anything like this before and it concerns me that other components may also have a quality control issue that may not appear for a few years. I have contacted T/C and they sent a letter saying they have a lifetime warranty and all I have to do is send it to them (which I will do immediately). But I was curious if there are others with newer model Omegas having any problems to either the trigger guard or any other components. Thanks!

AQUATECH 01-30-2006 05:12 PM

RE: Omega Trigger Guard Rust

I have a new Omega stainless with black thumbhole
stock. After reading your post I took mine out of
the gun cabnet. I do not have the problem you show
that you do. But after a through cleaning I use an
old scope lens cloth with rem oil and apply to the
trigger guard and trigger assembly. Like you stated,
Thompson Center, will makke it right. They have, I
think, the best customer service bar none. Hope
you get your problem solved. Danny

Omegalover 01-30-2006 05:21 PM

I have had my Omega,originally SS,for two hunting seasons now, not seen anything like you have pictured on mine. Two others I have met recently with Omegas dont show any signs like that either, I cant speak for the age of their MLs though.

Over the summer I sent it out and had it Teflon coated and camo'd.

Pittsburghunter 01-30-2006 07:11 PM

It looks like it was put away in a plastic gun case after being touched with contaminated hands. The rest of the gun should be fine but send the whole rifle to T/C not just the trigger group.

This pic is good news to me because my trigger guard looks like it is plastic and I am glad to know it is steel.

SIDEWAYS 02-01-2006 06:23 PM

I checked mine after seeing this post and have no problems.
Let us know if you have any issues with T/C taking care of it

Tahquamenon 02-02-2006 11:55 AM

I've not noticed a finish issue with anything I have from T/C, but I'm sure they will get things squared away.

Just curious...
[ol][*]What powder where you shooting last summer?[*]What cleaning proceduredid you use?[*]What lubricant?[*]Lastly, how was it stored?[/ol]
Tahquamenon