HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   tradition pursuit lt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/130914-tradition-pursuit-lt.html)

heinz57 01-29-2006 02:47 PM

tradition pursuit lt

who has a pursuit lt ,and how does it shoot ??the front and rear sights are made of plastic ,but i always put a scope on mine ..[4x] bushnell..

pineywoods 01-29-2006 04:43 PM

RE: tradition pursuit lt

i have one. my first ML sure it won't be the last.lots of fun.i have a 3x9x40 nikon on mine. took 2 does with it here in texas.i'm sure its not the best but it gets it done. i use 2 50grn sticks of app and a 180grn xtp bullet/sabot.the shots we get in east texas are not very far so i just sighted it dead on at 50 yards. first doe was at 30 yards second was at 20.

Mike AR 01-30-2006 08:48 AM

I bought one in November. Took it out one time and fired it 20 times. The action came open 18 times.I also had lots of fouling in the receiver area. I sent it back to Traditions and have not gotten it back yet. They told me to expect about a 6 week turn-around. I only shot it out to 50 yards (open sights) and it did real wellright out of the box asfar as accuracy goes.I used Rem Kleenbore primers, 240 gr Hornady XTP HP's with 80 to 100 grains loose Pyrodex. I haven't had it long enough to experiment with any different loads.

It sounds like Pineywoods is satisfied with his (let me know about the fouling in yours). Does it get really nasty after only a few shots?

MLKeith 01-30-2006 09:38 AM

I bought one of the first ones and the trigger was unbelievable. I have never had a gun with a trigger this bad. I could pull the trigger two times before my finger was so sore I could not do it again. I am estimating that it was over 20 pounds. I needed the rifle for a brother in law to use for a hunting trip so I had to do the trigger job myself as I could not afford the long time wait to get it sent and returned. I hope the newer ones are better. Mine does not foul badly in the primer area and the lock-up seems to be OK. I was using Federal 209 primers and also Winchester 209 primers with two 50 pyrodex pellets to try to keep it simple for the BIL. It shot fairly decent groups of about two inches at 50 yards using a scope and Hornady SST 300gr. bullet/sabot loads. Didn't have time to try finding the sweet load just settled on one and went with it. The Brother in law did not get a chance to shoot it at game so time will tell if it ever gets used again. I personally use an Omega and have a couple of other Hawkens from T/C and a Lyman flintlock Trade rifle that I would use instead of the Pursuit. Brother in law could not afford anything so I bought him the cheapest rifle that looked like it would work for him.

Mike AR 01-30-2006 10:37 AM

Glad you brought up the trigger thing. I forgot to mention that. I've heard lots of horror stories about the bad triggers. My trigger is actually pretty good and nothing like you described. Rumor has it that the first year production guns (2004) had lots of bad triggers but they modified them in the 05 models. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not. The serial # on my gun ends with -04 so I'm assuming it's a 2004 model but, like I said it's got a good trigger. So, who knows...

Heinz57---if you're stuck on a Pursuit, I'd go with the Pursuit Pro and not the LT. It's a better gun. The Pro has a longer fluted barrel, it's 2 pounds heavier, and the receiver issteel. The LT model has an alloy receiver. I don't know how the alloy receiverwould effect the live of the gun as opposed to steel but it seems to me that steel makes more sense. Anyway, I just bought the LT because of a close-out sale and will be satisfied with it if they fix it up right.

pineywoods 01-30-2006 05:12 PM

glad i got a good one shot it a bunch never have had a problem with it the trigger is great on mine. guess i got a good one.

Mike AR 01-31-2006 12:42 PM

Just my luck- I got the dud. They had twoPursuits left in the store. One was on display and the other onewas still in the box back in the storage room.Naturally, I told the clerk Ididn't want the one on display. Good thing I don't play poker.

Glad you got a good one Pineywood. At leastI know there's really some out there that do work.

Tahquamenon 01-31-2006 01:08 PM

The Pursuit Pro has vastly better balance, handling and shooting characteristics.

Also, the triggers on most all I have looked at were really terrible.

For a fee of I think about $40, Traditions will lower the trigger pull to 4-5 pounds. Which is well worth it to versus having to wrestle with aTrigger FingerStrengthening Device.

;)

All kidding aside, I found shooting the Pursuit Pro to be very pleasant. I was not impressed by the LT. Too light.

m2c

Tahquamenon