Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good Hog load

Old 01-27-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Good Hog load

I'm planning a spring hog hunt, and was wondering if
the 250gr. T/C shockwave or the new 290gr. Barnes
spitfire would be the best for terminal damage. I will
be shooting my Omega with 150gr. 777 pellets. I've
seen some posts where good hits on a hog have
not brought home the bacon. I would like to ask
this question? On a wild hog would you aim for a
lung/heart shot or try to break the front shoulder?
I have seen nothing but good results from Omega
owners, who shoot the shockwave. And the info
on the Barnes is really interesting from a entry/
exit point of view. I've used powerbelts but I was
not impressed with the lack of blood trail. Any info
or opnion will be appreciated. thanks
Danny
Old 01-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good Hog load

I am going in may with my newest one of those z5 Omega Walmart Special.
I picked up a bunch of the Shock Waves they had on sale to my Omega shoots them good I think I will try the 50/40 200 gr the sectional density loks good enough to me and some friend tell me they do good on deer with them. With 150 APP I get close to 2400 fps so I may have to down load a little to keep them from fragging if I can't get a hold of some of them bonded ones by then; I think the bonded ones will be a lot better for Boar. Lee
Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

AQUATECH

I can only wish that Idaho had an open season hogs all year and that one could hunt something during these long dury months. I have know idea what it takes to bring a hog to a stop - butI do believe the 240/250/260 is the most versitile ML bullet out there. And like you I haveonly heard really positive remarks from Omega owners using the 250 Shockwave.

Good luck in your search...
Old 01-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Study the anatomy of a hog. I would think a heart shot on one with that Shockwave would be good medicine for a pig, but this is only a guess. It will be most interesting to see your results.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:38 PM

Not sure if you are talking about feral hogs or the ones with the Russian Boar blood in them. The latter are pretty tough customers. Considering the close ranges they arenormally encountered, I think I would go for a big Keith-style conical. Like the 410 Hornady Great Plains or the 460 No Excuses.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I can I like to put a bullet in the ear canal. Drops a hog RIGHT NOW. When I don't have an opportunity at this shot or any head or neck shot, I try for a quartering away shot with placement behind the shoulder. This shot will avoid the shield on a big boar and still reach vitals. Also for ME AND MY GUN, I have found that big conicals work best. See my post about "hog poison indeed". That big sow was taken with a quartering away shot, downhill, and blew out her heart. She dropped like a rock. 70gr. 777 3f with a 385gr Hornady Great Plains HB HP. Great hog load in my sidelock.
BTW, a good blood trail on a hog is not to be blamed on PBs. I don't care for a PBs take down power but Hogs just don't leave much of a blood trail with anything. I've seen them shot with just about anything you can imagine and thier wounds close up quickly due to the large amount of fat. I hog hunt 2 or 3 times a week now that deer season is over and I sure do like it when I don't have to worry about trailing!
Old 01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

txrookie - I have heard mention of the hog shield before. How hard is it to penetrate that shield? A muzzleloader with a good conical or even an aerotip design usually get excellent penetration. You on the other hand avoid that shield. So if the animal is quartering away, then you would want to tuck that low, behind the front leg, angling towards center chest, correct? This way you avoid the shield and still hit heart and lung?
Old 01-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Cayugad, that low shot into the chest cavity is the ticket. As far as the shieldgoes, it is a plate of cartilage that builds up over time. It is much more common on boars than sows and I can't tell you how many times I have seen hogs shot there and run off never to be found. That sheild will slow down and limit penetration on a bunch of different projectiles.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

thanks for the information.. then the stories are true about that shield.