Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Max. Load?

Old 01-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Max. Load?

Been reading your posts Cay and the others as me and my bunch are new to the BP arena. Actually, was just an excuse to buy more guns! I would like to thank all you guys for sharing your knowledge. It is appreciated as we don't have time to make all the mistakes ourselves.

As for squirrels.............
here in Texas everyone knows that when it comes to those hairy devils................yup...........it's kill or be killed!!!

Look forward to more of you guys posts!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Spike

Their watching
Old 01-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Spike

I recently picked up an unfired sporterized Cabelas carbine in .50 cal.on an auction site. With its 1-in-24 twist it's a conical/sabot shooter which, according to the Investarms manual, is limited to 80 grs. of 2f/Pyro-RS or 60 gr. of 3f/Pyro-P. Like you, center12,I'm surprised how conservative these ratings are. I've only taken it shooting once and am still abiding by the manual's limitations, but don't know how long that'll last. That short barrel needs powder to make velocity.

That said, I'm amazed how accurate the little gun is. My eyes aren't good and I was firing offhand, but all the sabot combinations I tried went right where I aimed. The only fliers occurred when I shot with a wet bore. This surprised me because my T/C's are much more finicky about shooting sabots. Fliers with sabotsare more common with my Black Mountain Magnum, Black Diamond and System 1.

I hope to try it from the bench soon. It might put some more expensive guns to shame.

It doesn't hurt that it's a solid, well put together little gun that's very comfortable to shoot and carry. I have a Lyman/Investarms GPR whose fit and finish doesn't come close to the Cabelas carbine. I likethe little gunalot more than I thought I would.

BTW, the Lyman manual that came with my GPR had the same maximum load limits as the Investarms manual. These loads were recommended for the Trade Rifle and the Deerstalker as well as the GPR. Maybe Lyman has recently upped their max. load numbers.
Bob