Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloading related, sort of. >

Muzzleloading related, sort of.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloading related, sort of.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Muzzleloading related, sort of.

Sort of related to muzzleloading, does anyone know much about big bore air rifles?

A buddy of mine asked me since he knew I was into MLs. I knew nothing - air rifles to me meant BB and pellet guns. A few google and youtube searches later and my knowledge increased. We are talking about .45 and .50 caliber air rifles that are pushing either round balls or conical, the same used in muzzleoaders. Velocities range 750 – 950 fps, depending on bullet size and gun. Propellant air pressure of around 4500 psi, filled with the use of scuba tanks or other sources. Prices ranging from $600s (Korean models) to well over $2000.

These guns are apparently capable of taking any North American game out there, including elk, bison and bears. The guns are not much bigger than a regular bolt action.

With a range that is significantly better than a bow and apparently not (yet) subject to firearm laws, they look like the ultimate suburban hunting tool. He!!, I could use one in my subdivision, I know quite a few neighbors who would appreciate clearing out the deer eating their precious gardens.

The people making these have waiting lists well over a year (hence the Korean manufacturers entering the market in the last two years), and the demand keeps increasing. So how come I haven’t heard of them?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

Alot of people do not know this, but Lewis and Clark brought an air gun similar to what you described with them on their expedition of discovery. They claim the Native Americans were very scared of the weapon as it could be fired repetitively so quickly.