Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Will PA ever change? >

Will PA ever change?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will PA ever change?

Old 10-20-2016, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That's the way a lot of us want it. But it has evolved a bit from its original regs. Initially you could only use "buckhorn" style open sights, flintlock ignition and patched round ball .44 cal or larger.
Today you can use FO sights or peep sight and any projectile (still .44 cal or larger).
If you want to use your in-line you can use it during the early ML season (anterless only) or during the regular firearms season.
If it were my choice I would have allowed the changes in sights but kept the projectile limited to the PRB.
It's a shame they didn't keep the season as it started. Maybe other states would have picked up on it.

I have to laugh at Colorado.They think we have a primitive season.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like that PA basically goes all or nothing. I wish MN did that. MN considers us primitive. By primitive you can use any powder, including smokeless, any bullet over .40 and any ignition type. The only restrictions on it are open sights. It's pretty dumb. Lets give guys 300 yard guns and expect them to trust their eyesight that can only be accurate to 50 yards. That won't wound any deer.
I wish they would do a muzzleloader early season and a muzzleloader late season. One season any muzzleloader goes, the other is only traditional.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

In the case of Colorado they could keep the primitive muzzy season during the elk rut in Sept. Then have a modern muzzy season later in Oct with the rifle hunt seasons. Not at the same time, in it's own season. There's room for it.

Then the primitive season would be flintlock, real black powder, primitive sights, and a PRB. That would deserve to be in the rut season with the bow hunters. Not the way it is now.

I'd love to be on the hunt with other flintlock hunters. I'd know they were true muzzleloaders and not someone just looking for another season to hunt.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Several of the guys in my hunting club are muzzleloaders for the sole reason of being able to hunt during the special season. They check their sights once a year, hunt the special season, and then the gun goes back in the closet until next year. They are good guys exercising their rights. I certainly can't fault them for that.

They chuckle at me for hunting with a muzzleloader during the regular gun season. I chuckle along with them. Then I chuckle at the three or four who use scope sighted crossbows during the "bow" season.

We all abide by the game laws and it's all good.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it's all good, but it would be nice to hunt the old way with like minded hunters.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

In a world where our rights are being restricted at every turn, it's hard for me to desire more legislation to limit our scope (no pun intended)

Just like Semi said-and like probably many of you, I haven't hunted with centerfires for years. I get funny looks and that's perfectly fine with em. Just because there isn't a special season, it doesn't mean you can't set limits on yourself and make it special.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Yes, it's all good, but it would be nice to hunt the old way with like minded hunters.
Sorry but ive never understood that concept. I dont give a hoot what anyone uses especially people i will likely never see while im hunting.

"Like minded" is just a nice way of saying, "My way or the highway"
Old 10-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Sorry but ive never understood that concept. I dont give a hoot what anyone uses especially people i will likely never see while im hunting.

"Like minded" is just a nice way of saying, "My way or the highway"
No, I would have said that if that's what I meant. A flintlock season is hardly my way.

What a putz.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That's the way a lot of us want it. But it has evolved a bit from its original regs. Initially you could only use "buckhorn" style open sights, flintlock ignition and patched round ball .44 cal or larger.
Today you can use FO sights or peep sight and any projectile (still .44 cal or larger).
If you want to use your in-line you can use it during the early ML season (anterless only) or during the regular firearms season.
If it were my choice I would have allowed the changes in sights but kept the projectile limited to the PRB.
Flintlock only: I can remember those days when I grew up near the Mason-Dixon line. I actually wish more states would have a 'primitive' style (Flint or Perc) during the peak fall colors, even for just 1 weekend - seems the idea time for those who wish to go back in time.
From what's described above, it doesn't sound unreadable to me - there are plenty opportunities to use an in-line.
One has to wonder; if In-lines keep advancing more and more to CF capabilities (some already are) - will more states go back to flint & perc only?
Old 10-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

will more states go back to flint & perc only?
I dont believe there is anything to "go back to" in my state. We have special lottery hunts for firearms, all MLs and some of the best areas even offer more primitive regs. This is in addition to the normal seasons.

Our ML season is after firearms but it now includes centerfire pistols. Our bow season now includes crossbows and the archers are having a fit over it. Ohhhhh poor them, now they have to share their season with people who are not "like minded".

The hypocrisy is deafening as they hunt with their $1000+ compounds bows, tree climber stands, GPS, game cams and high tech thermal gear.

I don't believe for a second that primitive regs in many states have anything to do with hunting "old school". Its just a way to sell another tag and increase revenue but limit the success rate so they can boast about game numbers in their state.

Quick Reply: Will PA ever change?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.