Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Will PA ever change? >

Will PA ever change?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will PA ever change?

Old 10-17-2002, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will PA ever change?

This whole in-line muzzle loader thing has really taken off. Everyone has a great in-line out there and there are many advancements in propellents and projectiles. Do you think PA will ever have a black powder season where an iron-sited flintlock is not the only legal tool? I can see that they want to make it a challenge, but now they are trying to thin the herd. Even a flintlock with a scope. There's still a chance of a misfire, but the improved accuracy may prevent a few cripplings. How many states are flint-lock only? How about patch and round ball only?

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-19-2002, 10:15 PM

Default RE: Will PA ever change?

Pa does have a season for inline muzzleloaders. Our early season is pretty much as long as you load it by the muzzle it's legal.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

<font face='Verdana'></font id='Verdana'>Please remeber to read the regs. The traditional iron sights are now allowed to have fiber obtic inserts. and You can use pretty much any bullet you want. Not just the roundball.

Life Member: United Bowhunters of PA, NAHC.
member: PA flintlock assoc.

Frank
Old 10-21-2002, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I know now that you can use an in-line in the early season. I hate being the last to know.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-22-2002, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say it,but I think eventually in-lines will be legal in the regular season.I'll stick with my flinter-alot more fun!
Old 10-22-2002, 02:47 PM

KIDD642,
You better check the reg's. It says on PGC's web page that fiber optic inserts are permitted.
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/PGC/faq/deerlaws.htm

&quot;Kill it and Grill it...and don't forget to keep your powder dry!&quot;
Old 10-22-2002, 02:50 PM

KIDD642. Sorry about that. I miss read your Post and thought you said that fiberoptic sights were not aloud. My mistake. Funny how your mind plays tricks on you.
&quot;Kill it and Grill it&quot;
Old 10-19-2016, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say it,but I think eventually in-lines will be legal in the regular season.I'll stick with my flinter-alot more fun!
14 years later and we are still flintlock only in our muzzle loader season (with the exception of the one week early doe).
Old 10-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
14 years later and we are still flintlock only in our muzzle loader season (with the exception of the one week early doe).
That's the way a lot of us want it. But it has evolved a bit from its original regs. Initially you could only use "buckhorn" style open sights, flintlock ignition and patched round ball .44 cal or larger.
Today you can use FO sights or peep sight and any projectile (still .44 cal or larger).
If you want to use your in-line you can use it during the early ML season (anterless only) or during the regular firearms season.
If it were my choice I would have allowed the changes in sights but kept the projectile limited to the PRB.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my view, the technology creep from iron sighted sidelocks to scope sighted inlines in the primitive season of various states was a terrible thing. It totally destroyed the intent of those seasons.

Quick Reply: Will PA ever change?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.