Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hey Cayugad I bought a flinter!! Can you believe it lol. >

Hey Cayugad I bought a flinter!! Can you believe it lol.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hey Cayugad I bought a flinter!! Can you believe it lol.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hey Cayugad I bought a flinter!! Can you believe it lol.

It isn't even lefthanded but I ain't scared.

It's an old but in very good shape Renegade .50 cal still has the old hammer and frizzen. Should I just shoot it or have them fix it up first? I think I'm getting plenty of spark. I have it rolling off the work bench when I test it.

And if I am so bold how about some lefty shooting advice? Safety glasses I know anything else a lefty needs to know?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hey Cayugad I bought a flinter!! Can you believe it lol.

Lefty shooting advise.. oh ya, load it backward. Some of the old flintlocks still sparked real good. If you think that it is not sparking good enough, you could send it back in. Thompson Center fixed my Hawkins for free, putting the new hammer on to the lock so that it gets a longer spark on the frizzen. Mine is a real fast ignition.

I have no idea how you are going to do a right handed flinter with a left dominant eye, but other do it, so I guess you can too. It will be interesting to say the least. Be sure and keep us posted on how the rifle shoots. My Hawkins .50 shoots 90 grains of 3f with a patched .490 roundball with excellent accuracy.

Are you going to change your screen name to Flincher?? It really should be an interesting experience. I took about two days to get over the flash and it was not right in front of my eye..
Old 01-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

One thing I am hoping is years of primers going off in my face will help. The only left handed gun I own is my old Savage .308.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally think an experienced shooter like yourself will be able to ignore the flash. Although I would wear some shooting/safety glasses when shooting. Better to be safe then sorry. I actually wear safety glasses when I shoot my rifles and hunt. I had a prescription pair made up and use them for when in the shop and have all the things that damage the expensive ones going on around me. I was glad I did one day when casting lead bullets if you know what I mean....

Good luck with the rifle. Post a pic of that rascal if you can.. I'd sure like to see it. Renegades are one of my favorite rifles although I do not sell the Hawkins short and they are more comfortable to shooter then the Renegade.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

As you can see it has a nice light colored stock. It is the lightest of all my T/C rifles I think the thing is quite the looker

Old 01-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a real fine looking rifle and a nice collection you have there. Now you need to get out there and shoot that rascal.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't been able to shoot for over a month now that Omega I bought still hasn't been fired as well. My favorite shooting pit has been closed down as well, I hope that is just a winter thing and nobody was messing with the guys earth moving equipment.

I guess for starters the first time I go out with the thing I will use 80g Goex 3F and a prb? I'll just work a load up from that. I have been told I don't have to worry about getting 4F for priming right away because 3F will work just not as fast. I like the fact that it doesn't have the QLA I think that will help with the round ball loads.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a good place to start your load. As for a patched ball, since I cut my own patch at the muzzle I always have a good centered patch so the QLA is not all that big a deal.. As for your place of shooting, it never seems to fail. You have permission from a land owner to shoot and someone has to go and step on their toes one way or another and ruin it for everyone... I hope it is just a winter thing like you say.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Pittsburghunter,
Congratulations on your new flintlock rifle. That is one fine l@@king stock on your T/C Renegade flinter Is that a factory finish?
Remember: If you ever decide to sell your T/C Express, I'm very interested.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:44 PM

I like the wood on the renegade ,what is the m/l on the bottom?

Quick Reply: Hey Cayugad I bought a flinter!! Can you believe it lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.