Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 new to muzzleloading >

new to muzzleloading

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new to muzzleloading

Old 01-16-2006, 02:54 PM

Default new to muzzleloading

whats a good inexpensive muzzleloader for a guy that doesn't have a clue ablout this stuff
Old 01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: new to muzzleloading

Well Mr. Zesterhouse. are you more inclined to traditional rifles or inline rifles? Are you concerned about some barrel pressure issues that countless others find no problem with? What are the State regulations where you live? Are sabots allowed, pure lead projectiles. 209 ignition, caliber restrictions? Can you use scopes? How far do you think you will have to shoot? Do you want to shoot pellet or loose powder?

There are a lot of inexpensive rifles on the market.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:30 PM

i live in florida. i'll probably shootthe rifle iron sights. i kinda like the traditional riflesbetter, but it doesn't really matter. not really worried about barrel pressure if most people don't have a problem with it. i think sabots are allowed. i don't know the difference between pellet and loose powder.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Dominant Buck

A traditional rifle is a fine choice. Just because inlines are the craze, that is no reason to overlook the traditional rifles. The trouble is traditional rifles have really gone up in price. If you want a good quality traditional rifle, go to the gun auction sites. You can often times get a Thompson Center Renegade for around $150-$200.00 . If this is more then you wanted to go, check out CVA. I heard they are bring back their Bobcat rifle, Mountain Rifle and Hawkins. You can get them usually for under $200.00 and the Bobcat is often times sold in Wal Marts for around $69.00.

To be frank.. there are a lot of inine rifles on the market and you can get them for around $100.00. Soon many of the stores will be dumping them on the market and they will come down in price to around$89.00. The thing to remember about inline rifles is, you can shoot roundball out of them with low charges but they are most accurate with sabots (for the most part). Sabots cost a lot more to shootthen roundball.

http://www.cva.com/products/sidelocks_louis.htm
Old 01-16-2006, 06:09 PM

if you live close to Bass-Pro in orlando,you can get a CVA setup for around $200.00 that is 45 cal inline.

in Fla. you can shoot most anything you want,sidelock,inline,flintlock,with or without scope from 40 cal. up

Bass-Prohas a CVA magbolt 150 kit (by kit,not one you put together) but a kit with all you need ; gun,scope,bullets,cleaning materails and other things.the only thing you need to shoot is powder.

I have two of them for $199.99 in 45 cal. they work great for us.

welcome to the world of coal burners.good luck on whatever you get.have fun.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 PM

hey tree climber, what town do you live in
Old 01-16-2006, 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Zesterhouse

hey tree climber, what town do you live in
I live in Chiefland ; about 25 miles from the mouth of the Suwannee River, 45 miles west of Ganiseville.(home of the Fla. Gators)

where you?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Log on to CVA's website and click on the bargain den. I got a CVA Optima Magnum in stainless/mossy oak for $140. You can't select color or caliber (.45 or .50) but it doesn't sound like you're too particular. It will come with a one year warranty. Mine shoots sub 2"@ 100 yards and the trigger is very satisfactory.CVA had a barrel recall ~10 years ago but if you eliminated every car company with a recall in their past, there wouldn't be any left.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

check out CVA. I heard they are bring back their Bobcat rifle, Mountain Rifle and Hawkins.
Do you know when?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:14 PM

tree climber, i live between sarasota and ft myers
a little town called arcadia

Quick Reply: new to muzzleloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.