Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope advice for a newbie. >

Scope advice for a newbie.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope advice for a newbie.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Scope advice for a newbie.

I just purchased a CVA Kodiak and I was looking at a scope to put on it. I was thinking about getting the muzzleloader scope kit from Cabela's. It has one of their pine ridge series scopes and I was wondering if anyone has ever used an A1 Optics scope. Thanks

Old 01-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scope advice for a newbie.

I have used A1 Optic Scopes but i like Bushnell better. If i were you i would look at the bushnell banner scopes.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:42 PM

I will second the Bushnell Banner Dusk To Dawn scopes. I have the 3x9x40 on my Encore and love it. It gathers a lot of light. When it is too dark for me to see with my eyes, I can make out things when looking through the scope. And it can take the punishment of 150 grain loads without any problems. For only $80, it is one of the best investments I have made.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:43 PM

double post
Old 01-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Spike

I have a Nikon 3-9 on my Omega and love it. I will probably put the same on my Kanhke when it comes in.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Personally the Pine Ridge scope are funny.. they are eithergreat shooters or hunks of junk and need to be sent back. If you're on a tight budget then look at the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn series in 3-9 power. If you want to push the budget a little more there are a lot of better scopes out there. I was shooting a Black Diamond XR today with a 2 year old Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scope on it. Although the outside is powder burned because I never invested in a scope cover, the rifle still shoots excellent... it was a $62.00 scope (on sale). When it finally wears out or gives out, I will get something else..
Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 PM

I have a 45cal. with the pine ridge scope on it
and it has worked well for me. So like they say
if it ain't broke don't fix it. The banner is a good
scope, I've been doing some searching myself for
another scope for my Omega. And you might be
able to find a good deal on a Sightron scope.
Just my opnion. Good shooting.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Pine ridge 2.5-7X32 that came with my new frontier when cabelas were giving them for free with thier ML's last year.

If I had to pay extra for it I would have been dissapointed. It does work well. It has not had to be adjusted at all after being set. But the scope has cruddy light transmission. In the middle of the day it is actually darker through the scope. It almost looks like it has very light window tint.

Since we only have a9 day ML season Im gonna leave it on there. It does work. It is just an el cheapo.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Scott

My opinion about optics is admittedly verystrong. I realize that everyone isn't as passionate about this as I am, but here it is - I personally would not consider buying the Pine Ridge or any other "bargain" scope. If you are on a limited budget, use the open sights on the Omega until you can afford a better glass. The Omega shoots good enough to deserve a scope of higher quality. Cabelas is not in the optics business - they contract the manufacturethese scopes from who knows. I don't know anything about the reputation of the outfit that makes them for Cabelas. I hope that I'm not coming across like some sort of optics snob - I don't mean to be.

I learned my lesson the hard way. I bought a pair of Cabelas roof prism, compact binos a few years back for about $100.00. They looked good and worked great --- for 3-4 years. Then they started to fog in damp, cold conditions. Then it became harder to adjust them. Then the left ocular lens came out. I called Cabelas - "sorry, we don't repair those and they are out of warrenty". I threw them away, just like the money I spent on them.

Put it this way - are you willing to risk blowing a chanceat the biggest buck you will ever see becausecheap optics failed at the moment of truth. And trust me, they will eventually fail due to weather, recoil, etc. It is a roll of the dice as to when.

I don't advocate going out and spending 500 or a thousand dollars on a scope. One reaches a point of diminishing returns after about $250.00 in my opinion, especially for a ML in which shots much beyond 175-200yards or so won't be taken (much shorterin a vast majority of cases). For this reasonI believe that you can get a very servicable, dependable scope from a reputable company and spend no more than 100 -175 bucks (maybe even less). Stick with the name brands that offer full lifetime warrenties that transfer with the scope (like Nikon, Leupold, Busnell, Sightron, etc.) Look on ebay for used ones - I've bought two used Nikon scopes recently that had a scratch or two, but worked perfectly.

Here is what I have:

Nikon 3X9X40mm Buckmasteron an Omega (bought used on ebay for $132.00). Very clearoptics, lifetime warrenty,precise adjustments.

Nikon 2X7X32mm Prostaffon a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 (bought new on ebay for $97.00, but will probably upgrade this scope in the future - the kids are shooting it now). Nice scope for the money, it is the lowest priced Nikon available. Full lifetime warrenty.

An old Redfield 3X9 on an 80's model Ruger M77 in .270 (scope is 20+ years old and still works perfectly)

1991 Redfield Illuminator 3X9X44mm on a 30 year old Remington 700 in 30.06. This is the oldest rifle I have and it wears the best scope because it is the most accurate gun I own.

I promise you, you won't regret spending a few extra bucks on optics whenyou line them up on thatbuck of a lifetimeand you can clearly see the animal and you have completeconfidence that the point of impact hasn't shifted 1 mm from the last time you shot that gun.

Good luck
Old 01-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Try and invest in the best optics and mounts you can afford. Otherwise you will only end up dissapointed.

I have many Leupold scopes. They are excellent and although I've only used their lifetime warranty once for a thrashed M8 4x that I bought used to begin with and then broke when I fell into a stump and smacked the scope on to a frozen log. They repaired it no questions asked and I broke it.

I would suggest a new orused Leupoldwith a lifetime warranty.

Leupold QR or QWRbases and rings are also exceptional.

m2c

Good luck!

Tahquamenon

Quick Reply: Scope advice for a newbie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.