Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hawkens Kit from Cabelas...?? >

Hawkens Kit from Cabelas...??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hawkens Kit from Cabelas...??

Old 01-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hawkens Kit from Cabelas...??

Im doing Civil War reenactments this year,I need a period gun. I was looking at the Hawkens kit rifle from Cabelas. What are your thoughts on this gun? Any good?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hawkens Kit from Cabelas...??

I have a T/C hawken, which i built from a kit. It is now 27 years old. I still shoot and hunt with it. Has given me and my Dad alot of great memories. I guess Cabelas has kits in their own name, (i think pedersoli manufactures them and they have a good name). I can't help youwith experiencefor Cabelas kit, but if you choose T/C, i would be surprised if you were disappointed.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 01-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Dominant Buck

If you are wishing to re enact a Civil War era person, a lot might depend on what you are wishing to portray. You might want to look more as some of the military rifles and muskets that were more popular at the time.

http://www.nps.gov/gett/soldierlife/webguns.htm
Old 01-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

This gun will work, one of my friends who has already been in a couple last year has a Hawkens, not a kit, but it is a Hawkens. It will work, Ive already checked it out.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

In that case,the Cabela's Hawkins is an Investarms rifle. The same maker as Lyman Rifles. They are a good quality rifle. My friend has a .54 caliber Cabela's Hawkins and it is excellent to shoot. If you do get a Hawkins, might I suggest a .54 caliber over the .50 caliber. It would be more period correct, it would have more down range power, and be a great hunting rifle as well. They have a 1-48 twist so they will shoot roundball and conicals well.

Good luck with your selection.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! Since they were Cabelas made, I wasn't sure of the quality. I plan on using it hunting this fall as well. My mom is awesome at varnishing and staining and that kind of stuff. She will make it look GOOOOD. But, now, where to get it blued???
Old 01-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Dominant Buck

When I built my first Thompson Center Renegade Kit about 27 years ago, they came in the white also. I browned mine a "plum brown." You can blue your own barrel. Birchwood Casey makes an easy to use bluing kit. So does Brownell. If you follow the directions close, it is not impossible and the results might surprise you. I guess that is part of the kit experience. If you were going to pay to have the rifle assembled and blued, you would be better off getting it pre-assembled.

You might also want to look at a Lyman Great Plains Rifle Kit. They have a true 1-60 round ball barrel twist and shoot roundball excellent. Also they are a very true authentic looking rifle.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad wrote:

When I built my first Thompson Center Renegade Kit about 27 years ago, they came in the white also. I browned mine a "plum brown."

In my mind, I can see the image of us simultaneously filing the mill marks out of our barrels then. I too "blued" mine a plum brown. A beautiful (to me anyway) patina that gave the gun an antique look. BTW is goes very well with the weathered brass of the butt plate, trigger guard, and stock foreend.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 01-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Not being an expert here, but from what I understand the Ivestarms (Cabelas), Thompson/Center, CVA or any other "Hawkens" would not be appropriate for Civil War Reenactments using military weaponry.
Here is a good listing of Civil War Era weapons:
http://www.n-ssa.org/
http://www.edsmart.com/jz/guns.htm#usrifles

Bascically you either want NSSA (North South Skirmish Association) approved or some civilian weapon that is appropriate to the era.

The Lyman Great Plains might be a better alternative for a Civil War Era "Civilian" weapon.
www.lymanproducts.com

Also: www.dixiegun.com Look for NSSA weapons.

Or, a Southern Mountain Rifle style for Civilian.

Also, check these out.

http://www.donstith.com/muzzle_loading_rifles.html

Good luck!

Tahquamenon
Old 01-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, well, they never said anything about it, and I believe they check every weapon. [&:]

Quick Reply: Hawkens Kit from Cabelas...??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.