HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   American Pioneer Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/128250-american-pioneer-powder.html)

Mike Hill 01-09-2006 11:49 AM

American Pioneer Powder

I have been hearing nothing but good about this powder has any tried it and if you did what did you think. I have a brand new Omega with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 scope on it and I don't want to shoot it untill I can find this powder. They say it is just as accurate as Pirodex and is much cleaner. Any help anyone can give me will be appreciated.
Mike

jaybe 01-09-2006 12:03 PM

RE: American Pioneer Powder

Mike - I have never tried it, but I know many on here have.
I just ran a search (bottom of page) for American Pioneer Powder and got 193 responses. You might try that while waiting for replies to your post. Also try a PM to Cayugad or Taquamenon. Chances are, they've both tried it enought to give an opinion.

IM jaybe :)

cayugad 01-09-2006 12:43 PM

Mike I shot a lot of American Pioneer Powder in loose form when it was called Clean Shot. I have shot off one pound of American Pioneer Powder since the name change in 3f form. In my opinion the only size to shoot off when dealing with American Pioneer Powder Company. I only shot off five pounds of Pinnacle 3f since it was introducded last year. The trouble with Pinnacle and me is, I enjoy shooting it so much that all of a sudden the jug is empty.

What I have discovered is that APP and Pinnacle made by APP are a very clean shooting powder. I do not have a chronograph but I find it in comparison to Pyrodex for down range thump. Some shooters expressed concern with the moisture absorbing ability of the powder. I personally have not found that the case. I even sat out in a snow fall with the entire pound jug of Pinnacle and shot all afternoon. I never noticed a problem with pouring, clumping, power, or ignition.

I think you might find it a good powder for your Omega. Especially if you live in a rather dry climate. I personally live in Wisconsin.. not known for being dry.

The one thing I found with both powders.. whether your rifle will do this I do not know, is that when the sabot and projectile got over 300 grains, the accuracy went down hill. When I was shooting lighter projectiles like the 240, and 250 grain the accuracy was excellent. In fact I sat at the bench on that day I was talking about and shot 12 T/C Mag Express 240 grain XTP's from my Knight Wolverine and never swabbed the barrel. After 5 patches, the majority of the rifle barrel was clean.

lemoyne 01-09-2006 01:34 PM

Mike ,I bought an Omega on sale last month and have mainly been shooting APP in it it has had some improvement since it was clean shot.
Many people have said they like 3f version but I tried both and my omega and my System One both like 2f it has some quirks in order to have it shoot really clean you have to get ALL of the oil out of the barrel to start with.I got groups that suprised me with the 50/40 shock waves it groups beond the capability of the 2.5 power scope I have on it.the 250 and 300gr also shot good as do the 300 XTP. But the only one that sucks up 150 gr load and tears a ragged hole is the 200gr shock wave. Let us know how you do.

TC209x50 01-09-2006 02:58 PM

Mike, I have also shot some of the Jim's Shockey's Gold (App second screening, like the pyrodex select) in the stick version as well as the fffg loose. I haven't done all the testing I want to do withit yet but what I have I like it a lot. I've been comparing it against the T7 in pellet form andfor me it out performs it slightly in the areas I'm most concerned with. Your results may vary so to speak. I've also heard that the Jim's Gold is supposed to have greater moisture resistance capablilites. Not for sure just what I've heard. I do know it is a little faster (50fps) over T7 in ffg form. Compare both mfg. websites if you want to do your own investigation. The comparison is not an exact match so it might be a little scewed but I found it to be faster out of my setup so I believe it might hold water. Maybe someone else can provide some more concrete facts than I've told ya. Good luck on the Omega.

lemoyne 01-09-2006 03:40 PM

TC209x50,I have been looking at that differance also since 777 shows up better in shorter barrels and the longer the barrel the better the APP shows and 777 in heavy loads tends to melt some plastic [PB for instance]But APP will shoot the cheap sabots,PB's and Sabor Tooth Bullets all with 150 accurately; I am inclined to believe that 777 is hotter and faster butAPP has more potential enegry. Do you all agree or am I fumbling in left field?Lee

TC209x50 01-09-2006 07:33 PM

lemoyne, I'm the first to tell you I'm no expert but from what I've seen is there is some velocity advantage, but I was comparing it against Jim Shockeys fffg so this is to be expected. Jim's Gold does advertice that there is some fps increase compared to the standard APP powder so with the finer screenings it probably does make a difference. With that being said I've also seen the same increase using Jim Shockeys sticks. The question is are the sticks made from fffg? If so this might explain what I've seen (see Triple seven question, thread). If you look at that thread "sabotloader" gives an excellant insight into pressures and barrel length vs. powder and such. I think I have to agree with him as to what the powder's do with respect to barrel length and the type (ffg-fffg). In short I like the powder thus far and I'm looking forward to developing a load with it, testing it more and then reporting back to all what I've found. Hope this helps.

Mike Hill 01-10-2006 09:51 AM

OMG thank you all so much I am definetly going to try it if I can find it I just went on their web sight and they don't list any dealears who stock it in Mass. but I am going to keep looking. I am mainly a deer hunter but I love to shoot too so I guess what I am asking is about using it for deer hunting. Thanks so much Mike

bowbender6 01-10-2006 01:51 PM

In my Omega, I had groups under 1" with 100gr FF Pinnacle and 250 gr shockwaves. When I shot this load over my chronograph is 1500 fps, about 300 fps slower than T7FF. It is nice and clean but seams slower from what I call tell so far. Hope to do more shooting when the weather cooperates.