Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First Pistol & Flintlock Deer!!! >

First Pistol & Flintlock Deer!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Pistol & Flintlock Deer!!!

Old 01-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default First Pistol & Flintlock Deer!!!

Well it was an exciting and bountiful 2005 hunting season!
[ol][*]December 3, 7-Point Buck at40 yards (Top of heart): T/C Omega 50 calSS Thumbhole, Leupold VXIII2.5x8x36, Hornday 250GR SST, 95gr Black Mag'3, Rem Kleenbore Primer.[*]December 4, Large Spike at 100 yards (Top of heart): T/C Omega50 cal SS Thumbhole, Leupold VXIII2.5x8x36, Hornady 250gr SST, 95gr Black Mag'3, Rem Kleenbore Primer.[*]December 16, Doe at 75 yards (Top of heart): T/C 50 cal 24" Scout, Hornday 385gr Great Plains Conical, 50 cal Wonderwad, 80gr Black Mag'3, RWS Dynamit-Nobel #1075 cap.[*]December 22, Doe at 35 yards (Top of neck): T/CRenegade .54 calcaplock, .530" roundball, .018" ticking patch, 54 cal wonderwad, 105gr Swiss 3FG, RWS Dynamit-Nobel #1075 cap.[*]December 24, Doe at 140 yards (Top of heart): Knight MK-85, Leupold VXII3x9x40, Hornady 300gr SST, 90gr Black Mag'3, RWS Dynamit-Nobel #1075 cap.[*]December 26, Doe at12 yards (Headshot): Pedersoli 50 cal Kentucky pistol, Hornady 250gr SST, 30gr Black Mag'3. RWS Dynamit-Nobel #1075 Cap. My first ever deer with a pistol!!![*]December 30, Doe at45 yards (Headshot): T/C Hawken 45 cal caplock, .440" roundball, .018" ticking patch, 45 cal wonderwad, 65gr Swiss 3FG, RWS Dynamit-Nobel #1075 cap.[*]December 31, in a light rain, Doe at 65 yards (Heart shot): T/C Hawken 50 cal Flintlock, .490" roundball, .018" ticking patch, 50 cal wonderwad, 95gr Swiss 3FG and 4FG priming, English Flint, Cows Knee, changing priming powder every 20 minutes from 7:00AM until 10:15 AM. My first ever deer with a flintlock!!![/ol]
I would like to thank Roundball for all of the tips and experience with the Flintlock. Everything you said was true about flintlocksand after about200 rounds worth of practice with the flint during 2005,I was able to stay within 4-6" at 100yards bench.

Looking forward to small game until the end of March with Flints and percussions and perhaps an inline or two. And of course hunting larger beasties in the latter of 2006!

Tahquamenon
Old 01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First Pistol & Flintlock Deer!!!

Congratulations... that's quite the accomplishment shooting one with a Kentucky pistol. How far did that run. I'm guessing being head shot it went right down. That must have been exciting.

Also the flintlock and a .45 caliber.. excellent..

CONGRATULATIONS ON AN EXCELLENT HUNTING SEASON!!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

8 deer! How awesome is that and with blackpowder to boot. Your freezers should be at capacity. The flintlock one would be neat to do. I can't imagine what that one felt like. I think I would flinch too much for that. What kind of seasons are up there in your state that allow all those opportunities? Congratulations on all those deer.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Cayugad!

Yep the pistol shot was exciting. It all was and always is. The doe dropped on the spot. The SST actually went in one side just under the ear and out the other. I elected to shoot the SST from the Kentucky pistol for a couple of reasons. I wanted as much lethality as I could muster and I felt that a PRB with a 30 grain charge would not be as lethal as the 250gr SST with the same charge. Plus, the DP Kentucky 50 cal pistol is a 1:18" fast rifling and shoots the Saboted SST better than anything else I have tried at 30 yards.

Tahquamenon
Old 01-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gotbuck

What kind of seasons are up there in your state that allow all those opportunities?
In Southern Michigan, you have two Buck tags goodfor public or private lands. Then as a land owner I can purchase one doe tag per day within a given county. The amount of available private land doe tags varies per county depending on the overall herd numbers and DNR herd targets.

I had two doe tags for my property and four from a friend of mine that operates a cattle ranch. He wants to thin the deer that constantly feed off of the beef feed.

I butchered all eight deer myself.
Four of the eight deer are in my freezer vacuum packedthe other four doe (minus the loins and ribs) I buchered for the local area food bank.

Everyseason, I split whatever my deer harvest is with the food bank.

I cannot more strongly recommend to experience the multiple facets of muzzleloading technologies (modern, caplock and flintlock).

Tahquamenon