Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Lone Wolf

Old 01-05-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Lone Wolf

My Dad just picked up a Lone Wolf @ Cabelas. He wanted an inexpensive entry level ML and had money to burn at the store. Got the scope package and they gave him the starter kit for free and the rig cost $190. How do people like the CVA LW? Anything I (he) should know about them in particular? One question I had was, Is there a transfer bar that acts as a safety when gun is primed & not cocked?? (I assume there is, but wasn't 100% sure)
Old 01-05-2006, 08:32 AM

Default RE: CVA Lone Wolf

Well I just got my dad a cva wolf from cabelas for christmas and for the same reasons like the price and his first ML too. I have a knight and have always shot the hornadys 240gr 44 cal xtp's in the green sabot with two fifty grain 777 pelets for practice and funand then shoot the hornady lock and load sst for the hunt. (the red ones) Since my luck with hornadys thats what I started dad with and the gun was sighted in with no problems at all and shot about a three inch group at 120 yards. We ran out of light to shoot farther but the gun has been great so far and my dad thinks its the best gift ever. The only thing I was upset about and maybe you noticed this too, but the ram rod is short. When we load dads their is only about a half an inch of rod sticking out. kind of hard to get a hold of sometimes. But overall you and dad should be quite happy.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

For the short ramrod get an extended length loading jag. Some of them are 3" long and will help with that short rod problem. Also I believe the CVA have female ends on both ends of the rod, so a T-hand short starter extension would also help and give you additional leverage for those hard to load and pull out patches.

Good luck with your CVA rifles.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 PM

Now I could be wrong, but I know the Optima and the Kodiak come with an extendable ramrod and I thought the Lone Wolf also came with one. It's easy enought check, just try and unscrew the jag end.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hotburn

the ramrod does unscrew and extend about 1-2".
Old 01-06-2006, 09:25 PM

Good thing no one asked me if i read the owners book. I breifly looked over the powder charges to make sure I could use 777 but that was it. I would of looked as stupid as i feel right now. It's 11:30 pm here in ohio but I cant wait to go to dads after work and check out this extending ramrod thing. See thats what makes this forum great I might have not have know about it for a long time to come. By the way have you and dad had any luck doughboysigep?
Old 01-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

haven't shot it yet and probably won't til summer.