Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 thumbhole stock or no hole?? >

thumbhole stock or no hole??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

thumbhole stock or no hole??

Old 12-20-2005, 09:12 AM

Default thumbhole stock or no hole??

what do you guys prefer for a stock one with a thumbhole or without?????I have never shot a anygun with a thumbhole so I dont know what to get, I never had a problem without one are they really that usefulL? or not worth the extra money?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: thumbhole stock or no hole??

I really like the Laminated Thumbhole stocks on both my Omega's.

But the other 25+ ML's I have don't have Thumbhole stocks so I guess I also like the non-thumbhole stocks too.

Tahquamenon
Old 12-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Don't have one on my Omega but it seems to me they might be a little more difficult to handle the rifle in hunting situations as the stock is not so easy to bring up to position quickly. Not sure as I said I don't have one but that is what has occured to me in thinking about it.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

Actually fast aquisition and a very solid anchor is what I like the most about the Thumbhole stock.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

If I were hunting from a stand or field edges, I'd probably have one. I personally do not own on on any of my rifles. I guess I never saw the need for one. I've shot them, and they were nice. Get to a sporting goods store and handle one, see if it makes you smile...
Old 12-20-2005, 12:36 PM

A thumbhole stock is nice unless you are stalking. I always felt they were awkward when holding the rifle down at waist level. They feel more comfortable to me when the rifle is shouldered.

With that being said, I like the custom laminated, thumbhole stock on my Encore.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:37 PM

A thumbhole stock is nice unless you are stalking. I always felt they were awkward when holding the rifle down at waist level. They feel more comfortable to me when the rifle is shouldered.

With that being said, I like the custom laminated, thumbhole stock on my Encore.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:56 PM

I picked one up last week and gave serious consideration to buying it for my Encore. But, I started thinking about it. Out of the last 6 or 7 deer I have killed, at least half have been while shooting left handed. Not by choice, but they have just come out in such a way that I would have had to stand up and get all contorted to get a shot right handed. Either they were close and I didn't want to risk standing, or I was in a situation thattwisting that far around or standing wasn't easily done. As long as I have a good rest, it does'nt matter to me whether I am shooting left or right handed, especially with my Encore. So, I decided against it, trying to hold it and shoot left handed just would not work at all. But, I do admit, they feel really good and solid.
R
Hank
Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the thumbhole stock on my Encore but if you have small hands it probably wouldn't work for you.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one on my muzzle loader and I have to say that while it looks really nice and it gets pretty decent responses from most people they aren't really practical and offer very little advantage.

If you are looking for ooo's and aaa's then go for it, if you want a gun for hunting don't get it.

Tom

Quick Reply: thumbhole stock or no hole??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.