Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Optima Grouping >

CVA Optima Grouping

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima Grouping

Old 12-18-2005, 10:13 AM

Default CVA Optima Grouping

I am not able to get my CVA Optima to group at all.Has anyone esle had this issue and if so how did you solve the probelm? Was it powder or projectile?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Optima Grouping

Not a lot of information to go on there. Is this a new rifle? If it is, some of them need to be broke in. Get a batch of maxiball and shoot then through the barrel with about 70 - 80 grains of powder. Just have fun with them and the accuracy might surprise you. After that take some J-B Bore Paste and scrub the barrel to remove any lead fowling, copper or other impurities in the bore. This will also help to break the bore in.

Next is examine you powder charge and the projectile your shooting. Many rifles are real fussy about powder charges and projectiles. What powder charge are you shooting and what projectile? After your certain the rifle bore is broke in, and clean try some 245 grain Powerbelts with 100 grains of loose or pellet pyrodex and see how it shoots. You might also want to try some of the different sabots out there like 250 grain shockwaves or 240 grain XTP's again with a 100 grain charge and see how it shoots. Be sure and swab the barrel between shots to get your best accuracy.

If you have tried all of this and it still will not group then contact CVA and describe the problem and what you have tried to do to make the rifle shoot well.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:23 AM

How many rounds have you put through the rifle? If it is brand new it may need to smooth out the rifiling in the barrell. Check out this post
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1181923&mpage=1&key=cotton%2cbal lí±‚í´¬

My brother in law has the Optima Pro and is using 90 gr. of Pyrodex RS and a 295 Powerbelt AeroTip bullet with a Winchester 209 primer and has decent groups at 100 yds with open sights. Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:44 AM

The rifle is in its second season. I have shot atleast 60 Powerbelt 245 HP with 100 Grain of Triple7 powder using Remington 209 primers. All this just trying to get a group. At 50 yards it is from 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock without any scope adjustment.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Bawapp

The rifle is in its second season. I have shot atleast 60 Powerbelt 245 HP with 100 Grain of Triple7 powder using Remington 209 primers. All this just trying to get a group. At 50 yards it is from 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock without any scope adjustment.
WOW... I guess you're at square one. You have to try some different projectiles. Perhaps this is a rifle that hates heavy loads so you might have to lower the powder charge to 80 grains. I have heard of people shooting Shockwaves with good results. Sorry to hear the rifle is giving you fits..

Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 PM

I've got an Optima and it shoots well, but I had a cheaper version of the CVA hunterbolt that did not shoot well. The reason was that the scope rings were loose. Maybe your guns shoots OK, but your scope is off. Just a thought! Try taking the scope and putting it on another gun and see if it shoots well.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

the optima is guaranteed for life. i would send it in and let them figure it out if youve tried everything. last ditch effort i would clean it real good and try the jb paste. try 2 or 3 more different bullets but it shouldnt be that fussy. make sure you are shooting using a solid rest. if you can let some one else shoot it just to verify.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:40 PM

Thanks cuyagad,
I just ordered the JB Paste, I will try that and the other options you suggested. I will not give in to alittle hardship. I like the gun and I am sure thatI can figure it out. Thanks again for your advice
Old 12-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Spike

I had the same problem with the 245g powerbelts,they shot great through my Kodiak but were junk in my Optima.Was shooting 100g Pyrodex.I switched to 240g T/C Mag Express Sabots with 100g of pyrodex and it shot great 3in groups at 100yds like it so much didnt even take the Kodiak out of the cabinet this year.Give it a try should be great for you.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:54 PM

Try the 200 grn shockwave aerotip with around 90 grns pyro.

Quick Reply: CVA Optima Grouping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.