Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What have you done foolish? >

What have you done foolish?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What have you done foolish?

Old 12-12-2005, 10:52 PM

Default RE: What have you done foolish?

I wouldn’t call it foolish but I was foolish because I always forgot about it. My ram rod would always fall out and I would hit it by mistake and realize it was hanging by the end. So I push it back in there. One time I lost it and was lucky to find it. Now I have some rubber bands around the muzzle to keep it tight. First deer with a mzl is the one you see on the left.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW! Dandy deer there. How far away was that one from you and what did you shoot it with?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 PM

Thanks... About 50 yards. With a inline CVA 50 cal 120grains. Iv been addicted to mzl ever sence.

edited... It is a less expensive gun. Im hoping to upgrade next year, I haven’t had any problems with it besides the ram rod, but I took care of that.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh gee , which end of the list to begin from ?
Forgot to ram the ball , it went about 6 feet .
No cap .
No ball .
No powder .
Powder after ball .

I ... I just can't go on ...
Old 12-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

The easiest shot I missed was a NICE buck standing broadside at about 60 yards dsown a hill from me. (.50 cal. PRB, 90 grains FFg) I shot over his back because I foolishly had my rifle zeroed to hit about 2" high at 100 yards. Coupled with the fact that I was shooting downhill, the bullet path was just too high at 60.

Thinking that the buck would just bolt and run off after my shot, I did not immediately begin to reload. Well, Mr. Buck had noted that something had just hit the hillside above his back, so he went over and started sniffing and pawing at the point where the bullet hit the dirt!He was still in the clear, so I decided "if you're just gonna stand there, I'll take another shot, now that I see I have to aim lower". So I reloaded. He still didn't move. That is, he didn't move until I started to slip the cap onto the nipple. Just as I set the trigger to take the second shot, he slipped behind a big oak and I never saw him again.

Later I went to the range and determined where the ball was striking at all ranges from 25 yards out to 125 yards with that zero. It was about 6" high at 60 yards, and of course shooting downhill made this worse.

I had zeroed my rifle for a shot at a longer distance than I needed to, failed to check my point of impact at closer ranges, and it cost me a big deer. Lesson learned!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

Let's see...

1) double charged - Not yet
2) double balled or projectile - Not yet
3) dry loaded - Certainly!
4) shot their ramrod - Twice [:@]
5) what's the easiest shot you missed and why? A four point at about 25 yards. Shot on the run and as I was tracking my shot, right at the instant I fired, I also swung my rifle into a tree branch which made my shot go high over the back. The deer then stopped long enough for me to reload (PRB), aim and "click". Forgot to re-cap and while I was fumbling around for my capper, the buck slowly waltzed intoswamp and was gone.
6) what's the hardest shot you attempted and did you make it?Two shots,First was a10 pointthat was at 175 yards with my MK-85 and a conical. I was sighted for 100 yards and I put the cross hair right on top of the back lined up with the heart. My shot took out the top of the heart and the deer jumped once. I shot between 5" of space between two trees the deer was standing behind. The second, was a nice doe on thetrot with it's head up high andbody was obscured by weeds and brushthat I shotwith my 50cal T/C Hawken Caplock. At about 50 yards my shot went right into one ear and took out the brain-pan. Which was exactly whereI was aiming.
7) Luckiest shot? Two deer, one shot. Aiming for one doe at 30 yardswith a CVA 54 cal Mountain Rifle and a PRB. Complete pass through heart shot on the deer that I saw and lung shot another doe that was in a thicket behind the first deer.

Tahquamenon

Old 12-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Spike

Hi from New Hampshire. When I started BP hunting 31 yrs. ago I was walking up a powerline and this nice sixpointer stands up about 30 yards from me broadside. So I have my TC HAWKEN pointed up and I pull the hammer back, the cap falls off in knee high weeds and grass. I don't have a cap holder so I reach in my pocket ,get out my little round tin and I can't open it. The sixpointer is being so patient and just walks offafter what seemed like 5 minutes.Finally got it open but the buck is goneand after that day I always wear a capper around my neck. My best shot was on a doe,with my 50 cal Hawken quite a few years ago,dropped her on the spot.I just puchased a laser range finder . So a couple weeks ago I stopped and ranged where I shot the doe. I thought about 100 yards but the rangefinder said 162.I couldn't believe it and this was with a peepsite and Maxiballs.I nowuse a TC Encore With a3-9 on it to compensate for aging eyes. I use thisfor BP and rifle season.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

I am not sure about foolish but the most frustrating thing that ever happened to me was when my dad drove this huge ten pointer to me the deer was on one side of a raven I was on the other we both came to a stop about 60-70 yards from each other I squared up with a perfect shot on his shoulder with him looking almost directly at me and everything worked fine BANG!!. The thing runs away faster than you can imagine I find no blood to speak of at all. How could I have missed the shot?? There was no brush or trees or anyting to block it!!

One week later a guy took a 240lb "5" pointer. I had hit the base of the antler and it saved the deer only to be killed later.

That was the biggest deer I ever got a shot at and it frustrates me to this day I don't have the antlers hanging in this gun room. I got so mad I sold the Renagade I shot at him with which I built myself to buy a Scout Carbine.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

double charged - not double but almost, check next

double balled or projectile - along with previous overcharge, double balled my TC Hawken ON PURPOSE... that hurt.

dry loaded - too many times

shot their ramrod - nope, ah'm smarter'n dat

what's the easiest shot you missed and why? Surely not the easiest, but the most embarassing was missing a nice buck opening morning of rifle season this year - while my six year old grandson watched. And I was worried about him being quiet in the blind. [] Still made a memory neither of us will forget. It was the wind, dern it!

what's the hardest shot you attempted and did you make it? 200 yards with a White 98 and a 426 grain conical. Had to try it as conditions were perfect and I had practiced that fall out to 220. Doe dropped likea concrete blockand never even twitched.

Other than those minor bits of foolishness there are others I won't discuss.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Other than those minor bits of foolishness there are others I won't discuss.

I think there are a few of us with that same attitude. As I read these posts, it is funny how many text book shots are missed and for the most simple of all reasons. Then you read some of the hard shots people made and it just goes to show what people are able to do with these rifles.

Quick Reply: What have you done foolish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.