HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   TC Maxi hunter or Maxi ball (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/123836-tc-maxi-hunter-maxi-ball.html)

Strutter 12-05-2005 05:51 PM

TC Maxi hunter or Maxi ball

I always shot the maxi hunters but was curious about the maxi balls. I have never shot one. Will be trying out a new black diamond and was wondering if they were worth buying to try. Any experiences?

Thanks,
Rob

cayugad 12-05-2005 06:14 PM

RE: TC Maxi hunter or Maxi ball

I've shot maxiball out of the Black Diamond XR and it did good with 100 grains of Goex 2f but at longer distances the accuracy started to fail. In your Diamond you might want to try some 250 grain Shockwaves with 100-120 grains of 2f under them

Roskoe had good results shooting 410 grain Great Plains conicals and I will be trying some of the 385 grain Great Plains with a sub base under them sometime this week. They just came in with the new box of projectiles I orderd.

For close range plinking shoot some of the 320 grain R.E.A.L. conicals and 85-100 grains of powder. They shot really good out of all my inlines.

roundball 12-05-2005 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Strutter

I always shot the maxi hunters but was curious about the maxi balls. I have never shot one. Will be trying out a new black diamond and was wondering if they were worth buying to try. Any experiences?

Thanks,
Rob
The only caliber I occasionally use a conical in is .45...never tried the maxi-balls because the .45cal/255grn Maxi-Hunters drive tacks out of my TC 1:48" barrels...90-100grns Goex 2Fwith anoxyoke wad...devastating on deer.

Pittsburghunter 12-05-2005 07:27 PM

Hi Strutter, for what it is worth if I am killing paper (which is about all I have killed nowadays) the maxiball really is more accurate than the maxihunters. I know they load a bit harder and are weird looking but those lube bands do their job and the bullets shoot great. That being said let's look at what you are shooting them out of.

A Black Diamond has a fast twist rate so if you want to try the maxiballs go with the heavy ones not the light ones a "long" bullet will work best in your rifle. I would say the same thing if you wanted to shoot Powerbelts go with the heavy ones the 295g ones are made for the 48 twist rifles.

T/C use to make not sure if they still do a 420g .50cal maxiball that shot great in short barreled fast twist guns. Just make sure you don't go with the max powder loads because the gun can handle it but it is murder on your shoulder.

If legal where you live a 250-300g sabot should work fine in your rifle.

Sharp Shooter 12-05-2005 07:45 PM

Check this Topic out. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1307728

eldeguello 12-06-2005 08:21 AM

I have gotten much better accuracy with the Maxi Ball than with Maxi-Hunters! I don't have a clue why, because the Hunter is shorter, and I'm shooting them in slow-twist barrels which should do better with a shorter bullet. I get great accuracy with the Lee R.E.A.L.s, which are shorter but on the light side.

It seems to me that the Maxi-Hunter is designed to expand on impact, and does, whereas the Maxi-Ball is a poor expander, but has much deeper penetration and will smash through heavy bone, etc., that will stop the Hunter. The Maxi ball would be my choice for elk, moose, etc., but since it shoots so much better in my guns, I'll keep onusing the Maxi-Ball and just aim for the shoulder where there are big bone to smash up!

But really, how much expansion is really necessary for a .50 cal. bullet?? Not much, if any.

Roskoe 12-06-2005 12:51 PM

This is pretty much how the folks at T/C see things as well . . . . they recommend the Maxihunter for deer size game, and the Maxiball for elk and moose. I have shot a couple of deer with the Maxihunter, and they appeared to have more than enough penetration for a rib shot on elk. Accuracy was adequate - not great - and was better with a Wonder Wad than without.

Strutter 12-06-2005 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Wanting to get a good dependable load for elk for next year. It will have to be either a conical or powerbelt as sabots aren't allowed. I will be trying them out in a few days so I'll post what I end up with.

Thanks again,
Rob

liquidorange 12-07-2005 03:03 PM

70 grains of pyrodex and 370 grain maxi balls make for some nice groups out of my new englander. i mean holes side by side at 50 yards.

sproulman 12-23-2005 07:00 PM

you are right on.in the t/c hawkins .50calwith fast twist use the MAXI-BALL not the MAXI-HUNTER.its the LONG bullet that stabilizes the bullet.use the 370 grain behind 80 grs. of 2f.i can touch holes at 75 yards with this load and not much of kick. less powder i found, the more accurate.use LONG BULLETS in fast twist.