Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega mounts

Old 11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Spike

Default RE: Omega mounts

Must agree with ENCOREMAN, the Leupold QR base and rings are the way to go. I usethe QR base and ringson my Encore. I preferthe high rings to giveme just a little morehammer-to-scope space. My buddy usesthe Weaver base and rings on his Omega but wishes he had used the Leupold QR's.

Being able to easily remove the scope forcleaning or for thoseplaces that don't allow scopes is a big plus. Best deal of all,it goes back on as easilyand remainszero'ed or very very close to it.

Not sure about usingBass ProShop to install your mounting hardware, scope, and do the bore sighting! The BPwe have here has some very incompetent people working the gun counter. I would never trust these boneheads! Take it to a good gunsmith and haveitdone right!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I ordered the Leupold QR Matte base and QR Matte High rings. I checked some clearances and I think the high rings will work better for trigger clearance like you said Encore50
Old 11-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I highly recommend the Talley one-piece aluminum mount. It is machined out of one piece of high-strength aluminum alloy and is designed especially for the omega or encore. I called Talley and spoke with Dave Talley himself. He reinterated your comment about the tap holes being so close together, so he designed the mount to add space between the rings. He also elavated the mount above the hammer so you can get your thumb on it to cock it.It is a slick piece of work that is super strong. Go to the website and check it out (I think it is www.talleyrings.com). You can call the number and order it direct for 49.00 (mount and rings). It was delivered to my door within 3 days.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

You have already ordered, but in case anyone else needs advice, the Leupold low rings would not work on my Omega with a 3-9X40 Leupold scope (scope actually touched the barrel with the low rings). The Med rings were a perfect fit and the scope is rock solid. That thing has traveled across the country this year and not moved a bit. Rings and bases are so important, maybe even more so than the scope itself. The ultimate load I have come up with for my Omega is 120g loose Pyrodex with a 200g shockwave (for deer sized game), very deadly.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Encore50, you said in last nights post that you used the high rings. Do you have a problem with the scope being too high to get good contact with the stock?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:51 PM

I agree with Mouthcaller. If You do not like the looks of the Leupold setup, send it back and go with the Talley one-piece ( base and rings CAD milled one-piece). This set up is rock solid,use lock tite. Perfict fit and finish. Remove front sight and rear sight, replace screws with blind screwsand You will have one smooth looking firearm. Not to mention accurate and potent at 200 Yds.You will have the best looking gun at the range and not to mention at the hunt camp !! The deer wont mutch like it though.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

We will see when I get the mounts. I have seen that one peice mount and considered it. Cabelas has it for $49.99. If the Leupold Mounts don't work out, I will give them a try. I like the way it is raised for the trigger. It also looks a lot sturdier than the Luepold Rifleman, the TC, and the TC Maxima Weaver style setups. Also considered them. I didn't because I had some problems with a Weaver setup on another gun. That was none of the above mentioned companies mounts though. Thanks a lot for everyones input. I will let you know how the Leupold mounts work out. I really like this site. A really great bunch of people. I have a couple of fishing sites that I am a member of that have good people on them too. The internet is a wonderful thing!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: BGHUNTER00

You have already ordered, but in case anyone else needs advice, the Leupold low rings would not work on my Omega with a 3-9X40 Leupold scope (scope actually touched the barrel with the low rings).
I found this same thing out about a year and a half ago on my Omega. First tried the low rings and the scope layed on the barrel. Sent them back for medium rings and now it's perfect. I'm using a VX-II 3-9x40 on it. The Leupold QR rings and bases have worked well for me and I also like the Warne QR rings and bases.

My Omega's preferred load consists of a 200 gr.T/C Shockwave over 110 grs. of Triple Se7en ffg.

Good luck with the new Omega, yakfisher!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Fl Still Hunter, you are so right about the sturdiness and good looks of this Talley one-piece. The fit and finish is flawless. So well designed and worth the price.

One more thing - in speaking with Mr. Talley I asked him about using LockTite on the bases and the torque screws on the the rings. He said that LockTite will work on the screws used to hold the mount to the barrel but not the torque screws used with the rings because LockTite doesn't work on aluminum. He advised me to just tighten them down nice and snugand they won't back out.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Spike

Yakfisher.........

I replied to your personal message. But if you didn't see it I will tell what I preferred to accomplish.Iwanted to leave the rear sight attached in case I used my ML where scopes are not allowed. With that in mind, I used the high rings and it all fit perfect. The front optics bell on the scope sets a mere 1/4" from the barrel plus I didn't have to remove the rear sight. To me it is not too high at all and I love the set up.

Local gun shophelp me out with this and also didthe mounting and bore sighting for free since I purchased the QR base and rings from them.

Quick Reply: Omega mounts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.